Red Tailed Tinfoils in Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! I love my Red Tailed Tinfoil Barbs! I got three young ones right now about 4 inches. I know they will get to be about 9in. (These are the smaller red tailed tinfoils not the regular tinfoils with the black and red tails that get to 14in.) They are so active and fun! They come up to my hand when feeding and they never hide. Anyone have experience with Tinfoils? I also just got a school of 6 Goyder River Rainbowfish (aka Banded Rainbow fish). I have 6 young Denison Barbs (aka Roseline sharks), 5 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 4 Black and 3 White Skirt Tetras, and 7 Black Kuhli Loaches. Since the tinfoils get so big will they be rough on the rainbowfish or tetras? Everyone gets along fine now because they are all close in size. Do I need to worry about the future. I am not worried about the Denison Barbs because they get pretty big too, about 6 inches and stocky. The Rainbows will get to be about 5 inches as adults but they are very small right now. By the way, I have a 6ft long 150 gallon tank. Any experienced advice will be great! Thanks.

Recently ive been researching tinfoil barbs. As far as I know. They all grow to be 1 foot+. Red tail or not. If thats the case I might worry about the rainbows.

Red-tail Tinfoil Barb, Barbonymus altus Cyprinid Fish Guide
Here is one of the articles I read that explained the differences in the two types of tinfoils. Also, some youtube videos of people with tinfoil experience show adult red tailed tinfoils nearly 10 years old about 9inches. The only other difference in looks besides size is that the red tailed tinfoils do not have the two black stripes on their red tailfins like the regular tinfoils do. Honestly though, 9in is still huge when they are thick like the tinfoils seem to get. I am not worried about the rainbows getting eaten, just bumped and possibly injured during feedings. I guess I will have to see how it goes and if the tinfoils get too big and rough, I will move out the rainbows into another tank. Thanks for reading! :)

Back
Top Bottom