Red wag question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saaebn

Aquarium Advice Regular
does anyone know of a website where i can find more detailed information about red wag and livebearing? everything i find just says that she will really big -how big is that?, and that after a couple weeks they will arrive. we have been watching them very closely and nothing. also she is very big so we just put her in the small breeder attached bowl on the inside of the tank - was this a good thing to do? I could just use some more information about this so I can tell my son exactly what we need to do.

thanks
stacie

Hi Stacie.

I am gathering that you are talking about a red wag tail Platy, if you not ignor the rest of this post.
If you are then here is a little that might help, Xiphorphorus Maculartus ie. The Platy. There are about 40 differant variations to this fish, in the original form the colour was dark olive on the upper part and white on the bottom part, you have a red platy which could be a hybred of this. You can tell by the amount of rays on the dorsal fin, if it has 9-10 it is a form of the original platy. And it grows to about 1.6inch.
Xiphorphorus Variatus has 11-12 rays and grows to about 2.2inch.

A pregnant female depending on her age and size will give birth to 10-150 live young after a gestation period of about 4-6 weeks. i am not a great lover of breeding traps, the small boxes that sit on the inside of your tank. I think that this stresses the fish into giving birth. I would recomment either leaving her in the tank to give birth or keeping a small tank ready and useing that. The fry are about 7-8mm long but grow very quickly and they can reach maturity themselves after 6-8 months.
I hope this was of some help. If i am wrong with any of this information someone will correct me.

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom