Redear sunfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As you can tell from my signature I like to go fishing. I recently caught a Redear (Lepomis microlophus) and they have a fondness for snails. I have only had him for 3 days and he has already taken a liking to ghost shrimp. What kind of snails should I get and are they available to the aquarist. Books have also said they like cladocerans, what are these, little crustaceans I suppose.

got bait...

Lepomis microlophus, like all sunfish, will eat a wide variety of food. I suggest that rather than feeding him exclusively live food you should begin trying to get him to take prepared foods as soon as possible. Most sunfish will refuse flake food but I've had success in the past feeding them frozen bloodworms, cichlid pellets, and live (and frozen) brine shrimp. The sooner you get your fish taking readily-available foods the better.

That being said...your sunfish (as you've already learned) will happily consume ghost shrimp, appropriately-sized feeders and some snails. The common pond snail will do just fine but be careful or you'll have a tank over-run by the little monsters. You might also consider earthworms and the occasional small cricket.

Oh...and yes....cladocerans are small crustaceans.

Good luck!

Thanks much Fruitbat. I'm sure you know Redear is also called a "Texas sunfish". :wink:
I caught her (orange flap) on a earthworm so I'm sure she'll eat those.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom