redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you! It is actually made out of something that is black......it is support to be shatter-resistant I think.

Do you think that this stuff on top of my water is because I possibly added a bit too much Floruish last night? (I think I may have put too much in the tank :()

Thanks!

Do you think that this stuff on top of my water is because I possibly added a bit too much Floruish last night? (I think I may have put too much in the tank :()

Thanks!

Did you recently do a PWC or more specifically raise the water higher than what it had been? The reason I ask this is because after raising the water level (open top...it drops with evaporation) in my tank I see a film develop on the surface. Just above the water line I usually see a whitish "line". Not sure what it is...bacteria? Fungal? Idk. When the water level is raised I believe this substance is released into the water.

I just did a PWC yesterday and the water ended up being higher than it was before. :)

Thanks for posting and following! :-D

Did you recently do a PWC or more specifically raise the water higher than what it had been? The reason I ask this is because after raising the water level (open top...it drops with evaporation) in my tank I see a film develop on the surface. Just above the water line I usually see a whitish "line". Not sure what it is...bacteria? Fungal? Idk. When the water level is raised I believe this substance is released into the water.
The film you are seeing could be from oily based food you are feeding. I get that when I used to feed frozen brine shrimp. Place a piece of paper towel on the surface and it will soak most of the oil/film up.
The whitish line you are seeing is just limescale, if left to harden/dry out, it will be more difficult to remove. A glass scraper with do the job. Don't bother with the more expensive 'Aquarium' ones, get one at your dollar store or hardware store. Just make sure it's the plastic body type. Much cheaper and exactly the same. Remember, DON'T use it on an Acrylic tank!!!!!

I picked up three Otocinclus for the tank tonight. :) Let my tell you, they have a feast awaiting them when they enter the tank! :)

Just be prepared, they can be hard to keep alive.....

Yep, I have indeed heard that. :( I knew I wanted to try some from when I decided to get a tank again, but learned it needed to be somewhat established first. :) I am hoping for the best (and I have been keeping up with the PWCs, so I hope that will help). :)

Thanks for posting!

Here are some pictures of the new Otos! They are so cute, they really make me chuckle! :lol: In the first picture you can see one Oto, and in the second you can see two Otos. I haven't yet gotten a picture of all three of them together. :) Thanks for following, you guys have no idea how much I appreciate it!

Attachments

• image-4188101845.jpg
    image-4188101845.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3746325990.jpg
    image-3746325990.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 57
Here is an updated FTS! :) What do you think?

I am still working on getting something to help with my valley problem! LOL. :)

Attachments

• image-447629068.jpg
    image-447629068.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 78
A nice piece of driftwood or a large stone/rock. The plant in the middle looks like it's balancing on the edge of a cliff!!!

A nice piece of driftwood or a large stone/rock. The plant in the middle looks like it's balancing on the edge of a cliff!!!

Yes, the plant does look like it is doing that. :lol: Next time I am out and about I will look for some kind of rock. :)

Thanks!

Here is an updated FTS! :) What do you think?

I am still working on getting something to help with my valley problem! LOL. :)

Regarding the valley, you could try deflecting the output of the filter to go along the surface rather than at the gravel.
szcGBEg.jpg

I used a small section of the plastic strip that attaches to the back end of the glass canopy.

Regarding the valley, you could try deflecting the output of the filter to go along the surface rather than at the gravel.
I used a small section of the plastic strip that attaches to the back end of the glass canopy.

Ahhhh, I remember this method now! I remember a few people posted about this a few months ago, but I never got around to doing it.

Maybe I will go with both, or just one or the other......

Thanks for reminding me of this! :)

I've been away for a few months, work and the kids' school has kept me busier than anything! Your tank has come along beautifully! I kind of like the valley, btw, it's out of the ordinary!
Sam

I've been away for a few months, work and the kids' school has kept me busier than anything! Your tank has come along beautifully! I kind of like the valley, btw, it's out of the ordinary!
Sam

Thanks a lot for posting and your opinion, I really appreciate it! Thanks! :)

One idea that could *possibly* decrease the valley effect is to add rock there. I personally love the look of seiryu stone, although it can be sort of expensive. (Stone really isn't that pricey @ $2.50/lb but shipping gets you) I am hoping to use some in my future 40b once I get the funds :)

One idea that could *possibly* decrease the valley effect is to add rock there. I personally love the look of seiryu stone, although it can be sort of expensive. (Stone really isn't that pricey @ $2.50/lb but shipping gets you) I am hoping to use some in my future 40b once I get the funds :)

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom