Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #361
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Bacopa is one of the stem plants you can plant a little closer. Plant the stems so the leaves of each stem just barely touch.
Oh that is good to know (about the spacing). If I plant every stem I cut with generous spacing I will run out of space quick.
__________________

__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #362
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
I finally purchased a German Blue Ram yesterday! Here is a picture! I wish I had a bigger tank so I could get him a friend......someday, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4046250760.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	182328  
__________________

__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #363
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
I finally purchased a German Blue Ram yesterday! Here is a picture! I wish I had a bigger tank so I could get him a friend......someday, LOL.
Looks great! I love the color of GBRs
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #364
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

Looks great! I love the color of GBRs
Thanks! I am really enjoying him, especially now that the light is on.
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #365
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
The plants look really healthy from top to bottom! Your doing a great job with them so far!
I missed this comment, sorry!

Thanks so much for the compliment, it means a lot!
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #366
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Here is another picture of the tank! Features in this picture is my new male GBR!

Thanks for checking out my thread!
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #367
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Oops, I forgot to post the photo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3482062544.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	182782  
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #368
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Normalnot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cottonwood, Arizona
Posts: 64
Early in the thread Black sand is mentioned. Can someone tell me if I can get stuff for sand blasting? It is coal slag. Below is from the EBay listing:


Product Information:

Coal Slag is generally used in a pressure or siphon blaster when paint, rust, and scale have to be removed from steel, such as car/truck frames, tanks, heavy machinery, farm equipment, etc. Coal slag is superior to silica because it contains 0.1% or less silica. Coal slag is one of the most economical abrasive and is the best choice for large blast projects. Best uses: rust removal, heavy scale removal, paint and coatings removal. (End paste)

Is this an ok substrate? I'm starting a new 29 gallon.
__________________
Normalnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #369
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Sorry Normalnot1, I do cannot answer your question.
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #370
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normalnot1 View Post
Early in the thread Black sand is mentioned. Can someone tell me if I can get stuff for sand blasting? It is coal slag. Below is from the EBay listing:

Product Information:

Coal Slag is generally used in a pressure or siphon blaster when paint, rust, and scale have to be removed from steel, such as car/truck frames, tanks, heavy machinery, farm equipment, etc. Coal slag is superior to silica because it contains 0.1% or less silica. Coal slag is one of the most economical abrasive and is the best choice for large blast projects. Best uses: rust removal, heavy scale removal, paint and coatings removal. (End paste)

Is this an ok substrate? I'm starting a new 29 gallon.
I looked up Tractor Supply Company's Black Diamond Sand and the description sounds similar to watch you described:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...=&cm_vc=-10005
__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #371
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
The tank definitely looks nice! Lots of good plant growth.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #372
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post
The tank definitely looks nice! Lots of good plant growth.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I most likely will be taking some trimmings from this tank for my Betta tank fairly soon.
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #373
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Hi everyone! I have another video today, along with a few questions.
20g July - YouTube

Questions

1.) My Guppy's tail seems to be almost "tattered" (it isn't smoothly "cut"). Do you guys have any guesses as to why this may be occurring? I haven't seen with my own eyes any aggression taking place, so I am not sure if that is it.
2.) I seem to have a glob of hair algae in one part of one of my bushes of Bacopa. This may be due to the fact that I had been running the lights longer to try and give a little more algae to the Otocinclus (I have since set the timer back to six hours).
3). Lastly, one of my Cories has been lacking his whiskers (I can't remember if he was bought this way), and his stomach seems a bit odd to me. Do you think this is some kind of disease, or is it somewhat normal?

Thanks everyone for following, it means a lot!
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #374
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,966
hey Redsea, welcome to the freshie side! lol Looks liker a nice tank, you've definitely taken the time to do everything right.

Good luck with this setup and hopefully we will see a new SW thread from you soon!
__________________
180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #375
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsea View Post
Hi everyone! I have another video today, along with a few questions.
20g July - YouTube

Questions

1.) My Guppy's tail seems to be almost "tattered" (it isn't smoothly "cut"). Do you guys have any guesses as to why this may be occurring? I haven't seen with my own eyes any aggression taking place, so I am not sure if that is it.
2.) I seem to have a glob of hair algae in one part of one of my bushes of Bacopa. This may be due to the fact that I had been running the lights longer to try and give a little more algae to the Otocinclus (I have since set the timer back to six hours).
3). Lastly, one of my Cories has been lacking his whiskers (I can't remember if he was bought this way), and his stomach seems a bit odd to me. Do you think this is some kind of disease, or is it somewhat normal?

Thanks everyone for following, it means a lot!
I have found lots of guppies' tails to be kind of "rough." Check though for black edges, just to be sure. Black edges on the tattered fins indicates fin rot.

Cutting back the photoperiod is probably good to stop the algae. You can also try to spot treat with excel/glut or 3% hydrogen peroxide. I have a small amount of this in my 55g, though, and I have found manual removal is actually pretty easy.

Do you have a picture of the cory? Usually barbel erosion is due to poor water parameters - what are your numbers for ammo, nitrite, and nitrate?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #376
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
hey Redsea, welcome to the freshie side! lol Looks liker a nice tank, you've definitely taken the time to do everything right.

Good luck with this setup and hopefully we will see a new SW thread from you soon!
Thanks! I appreciate it.

The SW is on its way.
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #377
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud29 View Post

I have found lots of guppies' tails to be kind of "rough." Check though for black edges, just to be sure. Black edges on the tattered fins indicates fin rot.

Cutting back the photoperiod is probably good to stop the algae. You can also try to spot treat with excel/glut or 3% hydrogen peroxide. I have a small amount of this in my 55g, though, and I have found manual removal is actually pretty easy.

Do you have a picture of the cory? Usually barbel erosion is due to poor water parameters - what are your numbers for ammo, nitrite, and nitrate?
Thanks for all the info!

Here is a picture of the Corys (the False Julii almost looks like he has this "condition" too).

I'll post once I get those levels tested.

Thanks again for the help.
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #378
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Here is a picture of the Guppy too. I don't seem to see any black edges, which I am very glad about.

Also included in the picture is Mr. GBR!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2847021887.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	185230  
__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #379
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
The guppy doesn't look like it has fin rot. Just keep watching for bullying. Black skirt tetras are known to be nippers, so if there is bullying going on I'd be willing to bet it's from them.

I'm not seeing the picture of the cory - did it upload correctly?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #380
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Whoops, I forgot to upload it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-855612106.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	185247  
__________________

__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20 gallon, build, freshwater, redsea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.