redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some quick questions the Friday morning!

On one of my plants (it looks like about three came in the tube), two out of the three tubes seemed to have broken "stems upon purchase when I took them out of the tubes. I figured I would see if they could "fix themselves", but I don't want to pollute my tank.....should I just remove them?

Also, one of my plants came with some leaves that look like they are dead dying.....how do I go about removing those? Should I use scissors, or just pick them off?

Thanks a lot! Enjoy your Friday and Happy Weekend!

Any dying or damaged leaves need to be removed so the plant doesn't waste energy on them. If they are planted it's best to use sissors to remove bad growth IMO. If not planted you can pull them off gently but I just tend to use sissors.

Do you think I should give the "broken" Wisteria time to see if it will heal? I have two hole plants that are "broken".

I don't want my tank to be overrun with ammonia if the plants are dying.

Thanks!

If it's wisteria cut off the broken stems and just plant them in the substate to start new plants.

The Wisteria actually looks okay for now....if I start to see anything else concerning I can remove them.

Yeah, the bottom of the plant was bent, but I just stuck that part under the sand with the roots with hopes it would heal. :)

That is how you propogate stem plants. By cutting off stems and replanting them in the substrate. They will then grow new roots. Stem plants don't need to have roots to be planted.

Ah, cool, thanks!

I am actually going to wait to mess with the plants until I can get some new scissors. The ones I have right now are a bit dirty, and I don't want to hurt the tank. :)

This is okay to test my ammonia, correct?

Attachments

• image-3984485867.jpg
    image-3984485867.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 93
Picture time for the cute Cories! They love playing by the filter! :)

Attachments

• image-2688972310.jpg
    image-2688972310.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 97
The indicator is fine, just test with a kit to verify the strip is accurate every few days at first then weekly or so. I have never had a problem using them but I have read where others said they did.

I should probably start with my ferts today...right? I Have Seachem Flourish Comp. and API Leaf Zone.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom