redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool new plants! I know there are people on eBay that sell nice aquarium rock packages but you may be able to find something at a local stone yard. Some of them sell pretty cool stuff for around 16¢ a pound. Those places don't usually stock the fancy Japanese stones but it may be worth a look in the yellow pages. The advantage is you can often get about three times more than you need for like $15 and have enough to play around with until you find a nice scape. Just something to consider. I hate paying shipping. lol

Were the crypts the ones they sell in the baggies? I got them to see how they would do and I split them up into four plants. They are growing great and I have split them again. Don't be affraid to soft cycle, just go slowly, add a few small fish at first.

Were the crypts the ones they sell in the baggies? I got them to see how they would do and I split them up into four plants. They are growing great and I have split them again. Don't be affraid to soft cycle, just go slowly, add a few small fish at first.

All of them except for the Amazon Compacta came in little baggies. :) The Amazon Compacta came in a tube.

Thanks for the info lefty, and thanks for following the thread!

So here is the plan.....

On Friday I hope to go to Petsmart and pickup some Neons for this tank. I may also pick up another plant. :)

So, this week I should monitor the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and make sure those are in check, and if everything goes well, NEW FISH ON FRIDAY, yay! :lol:

I so wish I could get a fish tomorrow, but I know that wouldn't be pleasurable for the fish at all. I am a VERY impatient person, but I certainly can learn to be pacient when it comes to the lives of my little fishies. :)

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you are enjoying your Tuesday! S, I was just curious, where is the ammonia in the tank coming from since I don't have any fish yet? Just curious, as I like to learn new things. :)

Also, do I need to be testing ammonia and nitrite every day, or just before purchasing the first fish?

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it greatly! ;)

Plants emit waste by products too and will add ammonia, not nearly as much as fish or adding ammonia during a fishless cycle tho. What is your ammonia? You might want to check it daily and if possible get alot more plants in there. It won't cycle as quickly with only a small amount of plants. Once you get fish you will have to monitor your ammonia and nitrite daily and do a WC anytime either ammonia or nitrite gets above .25. If you can get alot more plants, at least 12 this will help alot.

Thanks for the info!

My only concern is buying more plants. As a 14 year old, I am going to be running a little bit low on money, :lol:. I could probably get a few more though. :)

So basically, the more plants I have, the more ammonia they will give off, which will make the cycle go quicker?

Whereas now with a only a few plants, they are giving off small amounts of ammonia, but not enough to make the cycle go quickly, right?

Thanks!

Okay, I may be able to go back to Petsmart today to get a few more plants! Do you guys have any more suggestions? I don't know a whole ton about plants yet.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

My only concern is buying more plants. As a 14 year old, I am going to be running a little bit low on money, :lol:. I could probably get a few more though. :)

So basically, the more plants I have, the more ammonia they will give off, which will make the cycle go quicker?

Whereas now with a only a few plants, they are giving off small amounts of ammonia, but not enough to make the cycle go quickly, right?

Thanks!

I know I'm going to confuse you but plants will use ammonia, but decaying plant material creates ammonia. Try not to over think this. If you can get more fine, if not don't worry. All you need to worry about is once you add fish check your ammonia and nitrites daily and do a PWC whenever these readings get past .25. This is the most important thing with fish in cycling. The plants help absorb ammonia and IMO help cycle a tank faster.

Any ideas on the fish you'll use to cycle. I used 10 zebra danio's in my non-planted 55g... Very hardy little fish....
PS... ALL still alive, nearly one year on

Got it! Thanks so much! I actually was able to stop by Petsmart tonight and I purchased four more plants. :) I will hopefully be able to get those in there tonight. :)

Just remember any stem plants you get to plant each stem individually with it's leaves almost but not quite touching the stems leaves around it. That way light and water circulation can get to lower leaves and you get better growth. Also you have larger groupings of a plant that way.

Is Bacopa a stem plant? I hope not, as I got some more today, and the Bacopa I got yesterday I didn't separate. :hide:

How can you tell which plants are stem plants?

Actually, I didn't separate any of my plants yesterday, oops.

Yes, bacopa is a stem plant so just pull the bunch up and seperate the stems. You'll see they are all individually cut stems that they put in a bunch as that is how they are sold. Just plant them in a group or two. Also when they grow tall you can cut them and plant the cut tops to get more of them growing. Stem plants are just that, individual stems.

So, basically, all the plants except for the ones that look like they are single (in the tubes) should probably be split up, I think. If that is the case then I should split up the Bacopa, Green Horemanii Sword, And Wendtii. :)

Tonight I got three tube plants, so I probably won't have to split those, and I also got another bag of Bacopa. :)

Nope swords should be planted as one plant as is. Crypts aren't stem plants but acually can be divided really easily. Many just kind of pull apart into individual little plants so you can plant crypts as one larger plant or divide them up and plant a bunch of smaller ones so your tank gets a more full look which in your situation I think would be a good idea.

Tonight I got and put in the tank.....Anubias Nana, more Bacopa, Java Fern, and Wisteria. :) The Wisteria looked like it was in somewhat tough shape, so let's hope for the best. :)

Also, an issue that is occurring. My filter is rated over the size of my tank, and since my tank is not so tall, the intake tube goes almost all the way to the bottom. Originally, we just moved the sand out from around it, but I have become very concerned.

For instance, tonight when I was moving sand around, I think I covered the end of the intake tube, and the tube then took in some sand. It made a noise and a few seconds later stopped working. We got the sand out, but that go me thinking "What if that happened when I wasn't home?" Couldn't the filter set on fire or something since it isn't working properly?

Should I just by a smaller filter? Or do you think Aqueon sells smaller intake tubes for my model?

Thanks! Sorry if this is confusing, if you have questions just ask. :)

Tonight I got and put in the tank.....Anubias Nana, more Bacopa, Java Fern, and Wisteria. :) The Wisteria looked like it was in somewhat tough shape, so let's hope for the best. :)

Also, an issue that is occurring. My filter is rated over the size of my tank, and since my tank is not so tall, the intake tube goes almost all the way to the bottom. Originally, we just moved the sand out from around it, but I have become very concerned.

For instance, tonight when I was moving sand around, I think I covered the end of the intake tube, and the tube then took in some sand. It made a noise and a few seconds later stopped working. We got the sand out, but that go me thinking "What if that happened when I wasn't home?" Couldn't the filter set on fire or something since it isn't working properly?

Should I just by a smaller filter? Or do you think Aqueon sells smaller intake tubes for my model?

Thanks! Sorry if this is confusing, if you have questions just ask. :)

You could cut a section out then glue it back to the other. Check Dr foster and smith to see if they have shorter pipes though.

Back
Top Bottom