redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forgot to mention, my Purigen and root tabs came in the mail a few days ago. I plan on hopefully getting the Purigen in this weekend. :)

Hi guys, I am a little worried that my Cories look a little thin.....I am hoping that I am just overanalyzing the situation though. Would they be showing any sure signs if they weren't doing well?

Thanks.

Uggg... it looks like my largest Cory has a slight "bent spine" near his tail. :( I never picked up on this before today. :( I guess that means I can never breed them since that trait could be passed to the young, correct?

Uggg... it looks like my largest Cory has a slight "bent spine" near his tail. :( I never picked up on this before today. :( I guess that means I can never breed them since that trait could be passed to the young, correct?

That is correct, bent spine is a genetic defect. This disorder can decrease the lifespan of fish, because it can stunt their organs, basically - they run out of room to grow.

The thing is you can't "not" get your fish to spawn if they want to. All you could do is remove it from the tank if your afraid of that down the road but personally I wouldn't be too concerned.

I have some good news as far as the spine of the Cory goes. I don't think it actually has a bent spine judging from some pictures I saw online. :) I could be wrong, but I am more hopeful now!

One of these days I will get around to post more pictures of them.

As always, thanks for following! :)

An updated FTS for my fantastic friends!

Attachments

• image-1773834546.jpg
    image-1773834546.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 80
Everything looks good! Like the valley the HOB is making... lol! You might just want to make that area a low place and gently push the excess to make the ends higher for a more natural look.

I extended the outflow on my hob filter to below the waterline years ago. It helps prevent a strong current from pushing your sand around. I had an aqua clear 50 on a 20g and had the same problem.

Everything looks good! Like the valley the HOB is making... lol! You might just want to make that area a low place and gently push the excess to make the ends higher for a more natural look.

Thank you!

Thanks for the fantastic suggestion too! Yep, the valley is pretty funny, the Cories enjoy playing in it. :)

Hey Redsea, wow, a whole 4 DAYS without a post. What happened buddy, writers block!!!!
Only kidding, tank looks great..........

Thank you! I figured after four days it was definitely time for an update. :)

I extended the outflow on my hob filter to below the waterline years ago. It helps prevent a strong current from pushing your sand around. I had an aqua clear 50 on a 20g and had the same problem.

Thanks for the tip meegosh. ;)

Thank you!

Thanks for the fantastic suggestion too! Yep, the valley is pretty funny, the Cories enjoy playing in it. :)

Thank you! I figured after four days it was definitely time for an update. :)

Thanks for the tip meegosh. ;)

I also have an AC50 in a 20g and could never seem to get the water level high enough to reach the overflow lip so I made an extension out of the plastic strip that comes with the all glass canopy. As seen in the pics below I cut it to size. Added a few bends and attached the "clamp" end to the overflow lip. Note: some plastic strips are easier to cut than others; I used regular scissors for the Marineland brand but needed very heavy duty scissors for the Aqueon brand.
Depending on the angle of the bend, the water should flow across the surface and not directly at the substrate.
image-3788065238.jpg
image-1205804585.jpg
image-2591612568.jpg

Yours is a lot nicer looking than what I did. Good call on the plastic, looks a lot cleaner than what I used. I suspended a piece of foam under it so it would trickle through that.

Do you guys think it is time to start adding fertilizers and root tabs?

I have Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone, along with root tabs.

If it is time for root tabs, which plants do I put them by? I have Bacopa, Crypts, Wendtii, Amazon Compacta, Java Fern, and one or two plants I can't remember the name of. :eek:

Thanks!

Thanks! Do all my plants get the root tabs? And do I just bury them in front of the plant?

A while back I think you said to wait a little bit on the Leaf Zone to see if I needed it, or am I just confused, :lol:

Thanks for your great help!

Back
Top Bottom