redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use filter floss strictly as a mechanical filtration and once it's good and loaded with detris I trash it and start with new. This works very well at removing detris completely out of the tank. You should have other biological filtration in your filter yes? If not I would consider adding alittle bio-media in the excess filter space and putting filter floss on top of that to be used strictly as mechanical filtration.

Just got back from the LFS! I got 6 Rummynoses and a Pair of GBRs.

Happy Early April Fools! :) I didn't get anything, but I am curious as to when my fantastic followers thought it would be a good time to purchase my favorite freshwater fishes, as I know they need an established tank. :)

Thanks!

Just got back from the LFS! I got 6 Rummynoses and a Pair of GBRs.

Happy Early April Fools! :) I didn't get anything, but I am curious as to when my fantastic followers thought it would be a good time to purchase my favorite freshwater fishes, as I know they need an established tank. :)

Thanks!
You had me.....for a second!!! Can't really advise you on stock, i'm still learning myself but what's your fish wishlist???

Last edited:
For the most part I really just want to finish this tank with Rummynoses and a pair of Rams.

I was also curious as to if I should add another Cory to my Julii family, as I only have two. (My Cories are probably false Juliis, right?)

For the most part I really just want to finish this tank with Rummynoses and a pair of Rams.

I was also curious as to if I should add another Cory to my Julii family, as I only have two. (My Cories are probably false Juliis, right?)
Nice choice with the Rummynoses and Rams. I won't lie, I don't know about the corys but here's a thought for you. Buenos Aires Tetras and a pair of Kribensis's. I have both in my community tank, i'm still trying to get the pair of Kribs to fall in love:flowers::flowers:.
PS...Not my pictures(google images)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 58
  • untitled 1.jpg
    untitled 1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 57
Sorry they didn't load correctly......

Attachments

• buenosAiresTetra4.jpg
    buenosAiresTetra4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 56
  • kribensis.jpg
    kribensis.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 65
Those are two nice looking fish, especially the Krib! Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!

I will most likely wait about a month or two for the Rummies, just to be sure everything is safe and sound for them. :)

Anyways, over here in redsea-land the weather is chilly, but beautiful. Not only that but tomorrow is my last day of school before a four day weekend. :) To celebrate I should have some updated pictures up of the tank within the hour.

Thanks for following everyone! :)

Here we go! :) Have an awesome night!

Attachments

• image-3192638614.jpg
    image-3192638614.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1664091200.jpg
    image-1664091200.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
A little late here Ian but those are awesome HD pic's! The Krib one is a great candidate for POTM contest!
Yeah I wish Janis, not my pictures unfortunately!!!. I Google imaged them, I did credit them, on the previous page!!!.
I wouldn't dream of breaking the rules:hide::hide:

Hey Redsea, I was looking at your tank and thinking, a nice piece of driftwood, right were that ripple in the substrate is, would look cool. I'm sure you've considered it already but it would help break up the current from the HOB. You could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak....

Forgot to mention in regards to the fish wishlist......I really like Otocinclus Catfish too. I know these guys also need an established tank, so I will definitely hold off on them. My plants do have a tad bit of algae though! :lol:

Grrr, I have such as tough time with those API Liquid Ammonia Test Kits, LOL. If I put the results against the white card, it looks yellowish. If I don't, the look greenish. :( I just don't know what to think.

It doesn't help that I am color blind either! :lol:

Grrr, I have such as tough time with those API Liquid Ammonia Test Kits, LOL. If I put the results against the white card, it looks yellowish. If I don't, the look greenish. :( I just don't know what to think.

I'm having the same problem but with the Nitrate test. Orange when I hold it to a light and almost red when against the card. And this is my tap water!!!

I believe you're supposed to hold the tube against the white part on the card. I find it easier to see the right colour when you are in daylight be side a large window. If its yellowish greenish perhaps you should test right after a water change that way if its the same colour you know its not an ammonia spike. As the water after a PWC should not have much ammonia.

I believe you're supposed to hold the tube against the white part on the card. I find it easier to see the right colour when you are in daylight be side a large window. If its yellowish greenish perhaps you should test right after a water change that way if its the same colour you know its not an ammonia spike. As the water after a PWC should not have much ammonia.

Thanks for the info!

I don't know if you do this already but what I do is mix one tube with tank water and then one tube with regular water if I think there might be a reading. Holding the two together side by side against white will definitely help you see even a slight color shift. , for nitrate just don't add #2 to your control tube and you have a color comparison to zero even with tank water.

Back
Top Bottom