Reducing flow on a cannister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a sunsun 304 (340 gph), the provided spray bar is chinsy and also creating a ton of flow. I'm going to make a new out of 3/4" pvc, it will be 10". Here's the question, in attempts to reduce the intensity of flow from the bar. Should I drill larger or smaller holes? More or less holes? Horizontal orientation or spiral type? Like a candy cane stripe almost...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would think reducing the hole size too small would reduce overall flow and an inline tap would be better for that.
However, my small internal filter for my QT has an impressive flow rate which stirs up the tank too much but came with a 4" tube with very large holes. You can't call it a spray bar because it has holes at all angles. The water flow is divided between the 10 or so holes defusing the flow. Perhaps that is more of the effect you're looking for. Certainly by having holes at many angles you don't get a water flow in one direction.
I think it might have to be trial and error. Best of luck, happy drilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have done this with one of my canister filters and it worked great!

Instead of connecting the canister hose right to the new spray bar, have it connect to a small pvc on/off valve and then connect the new spray bar to that. Have the on off in the halfway position and that will throw the water and just enough of an angle to slow flow down!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The 304 does some 525 GPH. 303 does 370 and 302 does 265.

First thing I would do to reduce the flow is pack the filter full of media.

Then from there you can drill holes in the back of the spraybar. I've found that to be an effective means of reducing the amount of current in the tank without restricting the flow rate.

Larger holes will reduce the speed of the water. If the spray bar was restrictive from having too narrow or few holes you may even get more flow with less powerful water movement.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks peoples! Appreciate the posts! Its a 303, my bad, so many filters with so many numbers and letters. I made the new spray bar at work.. 1/2" too long.. doh!! I also forgot to account for the co2 reactor, it has a paddle go round deal so that will probably reduce flow there. I'm going to drill the holes out a bit larger on stock bar for now and add a few to the back as mentioned, good idea to get a little flow right below bar! I'm also going to add some more floss to the media trays which should help. Very impressed w the sunsun so far.

I drilled out the stock spray bar, increased the hole diameter by 1/16" and added to holes to the back. Worked splendidly, flow is perfect now, i have ludwiga growing in front of the spray bar and it is gently swaying as opposed to hanging on.for dear life, thanks again:)

Back
Top Bottom