Refuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dauker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I converted my 55 gallon reef tank to a planted freshwater about one week ago. The tank is currently cycling, but being the impatient type I will probably add a very small bio load to help kick it in the pants. I stepped away from the reef tank due the time commitment it required. I've sold all of the hardware I had that I wouldn't be reusing. The only thing I'm not sure about is my hob refugium. In my reef tank this was filled with live sand and grew macro algae to help filter the display tank. I'm trying to find a use for this in a freshwater tank. I'll be growing plants in the display so I don't see a need to use it for that. I thought about purchasing a larger pump for it to increase the rate of flow and using something like bioballs, but being designed for a slow flow I don't think it would be effective even with a larger pump. Is there any use for a refuge in my current set up?

probably only as a sump, to hide your heater mainly, and add a couple more gallons to the capacity.

but at 55gal, you've got what, maybe 5-5.5 gals for that hang on fuge? I know my CPR hang on is right around 4 gallons, so its roughly 10% more capacity on my 40gal SW.

but if you're gonna keep plants to help filter the main tank, I don't see a benefit to the fuge. if you're running a canister filter, you can get an inline heater to help reduce tank equipment clutter.

You could sell your fuge in our classifieds forum if you don't want it.

Back
Top Bottom