refugium for a fw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thanew

Aquarium Advice Freak
hrm.. i was pondering today, would a refugium for a fw tank actually work ?

I was thinking, make it heavily planted, leave room for some guys in there like some clams and what not to help filter...

would this actually work?

I'm not planning anything like that as my fw tank is miraculously staying perfect and everything is thriving, but I just gave it a thought earlier while I was in class

-thane

It works. I use mine with fast growing plants for nitrate removal (I have to add KNO3 2 or 3 times a week to keep plant growth), with reverse photo period to keep O2, CO2, and pH stable. I also breed neocaridina shrimp and have a couple tough white cloud fry (worked their way past wet/dry possibly) living in there. Also have redundant filtration on main tank and fuge/sump so I can disconnect return and have instant qt with same parameters as main, but in theory not ideal since most meds I would dose would harm shrimp. Adapting return and drain positioning in main allowed me to make a loaches.com style rivertank pretty easily by adapting secondary filter for more current. Here's how I built mine if interested: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/czcz/howto_fuge.html Great project. To me interesting example where tech of SW has parallels with tech in FW planted, from what little I know of SW (have only read, not done).

sorry to get off of the subject...but i see you have electric blues...how are they doing in your tank? i've been looking to get some eventually

hrm.. well since this topic has failed, except for cxcz's response :)

my electric blues are fine.. no signs of aggression towards anyone yet, everyone gets along nicely.

Back
Top Bottom