Regarding water current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wowzers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon standard size aquarium with an unknown Cichlasoma species cichlid and an Acarichthys Heckelii (Threadfin Acara). I'm thinking about putting a second Whisper filter on the tank (the 40 "triad power filter" model). Anyone think that this would bother the fish? I can't find information regarding the habitat of the Acara, so I don't know if he'd appreciate the extra water current. He's pretty small right now, I want to make him as content as possible so he'll grow quickly. :)

(This is my first post. Howdy. 8) )

Welcome to the site.

I think most fish enjoy the current from time to time, if not always, so I don't think your extra filter will cause problems. I have a few guppies and they are never not playing in the current !

filter

Acarichthys heckeli aka Elusive cichlid is found throughout central Brazil and the Guianas. Also found in all the Amazonian tributaries. Not sensitive to water conditions but will show best colors in soft acidic water at about 75 F. Grows 6"-8" long. I think you will be fine as long as you aren't creating a whirlpool in there. I wonder why you need a second filter though? This fish is likely going to outgrow the 29 gal tank and will need larger quarters. If you feel as though the tank needs the extra filtration, I don't think the fish will mind.
Logan J

Thanks Logan. The aquarium he's in has a lot driftwood, and I buffer the PH a bit with every water change. How much current would you consider turblent? When I put the second filter on, the current was enough that the plants in the tank were swaying back and forth, about 1/3 of an inch in each direction. I observed that he'd move to the other end of the tank where there was less current, though it might have been a coincidence. I have a lot of extra filters, and I figured that since I have them I'd put them to use. I'm probably more particular about my aquariums than most. I want them to be as natural as possible, water current inluded.

P.S I know they get pretty big, he'll be going into a 55 or 65 gallon tank soon.

*edit* 75 F, eh? Are you sure? I've been keeping him at about 78-80 F according to a book I have.

Back
Top Bottom