Releasing Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misha111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 6 year old goldfish but it is becoming really obvious that his tank isn't big enough. Having exhausted rehoming possibilities and I really can't get a larger tank at this time, I was wondering if I could release him into the pond in our garden.

He is a common goldfish, he would be the only one there but am willing to get friends. The pond is currently home to a thriving community of newts including Great crested newts.

Any advice appreciated

Better check your state's DNR website to see if it's legal first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for replying.

Am in the UK and I wouldn't consider releasing him into a public pond or river but this is a man made pond in my garden albeit a very old one about 30 years old.

Am wondering if he would survive or the Great Crested Newts which are protected.

Oh sorry. I didn't check your location first before replying. If it's legal my only concern is that it's going to be winter soon. I kinda thought you needed to put them in a pond in spring or summer so they get used to it before it's cold. I could be totally wrong. People here have goldfish and koi in ponds and I'd they are deep enough they do fine over winter usually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would guess he is about 18cms (scientifically done with a ruler against the tank lol).

I too wondered whether this the wrong time of year to be thinking about this, the pond is 4ft deep and has a waterfall that agitates the surface and prevents it from freezing. However would release him next year when is warmer.

He is not the prettiest goldfish in the world but knows when you are nearby and would hate to lose him. By spring i might be able to wangle another tank.

I would think he would be fine in a 4 foot deep pond, but I guess it depends on whether your pond freezes solid over winter. If it does, then wait until you can get a larger tank for him.

Back
Top Bottom