rememebr that dirty tank i spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
A couple days ago I cleaned this tank of my friends up, i went as so far to give her a brand new air pump i had, tubing, a gang valve, my chemicals, brand new bulbs, some plants and bubbles stones and ecorative statues i had, she comes in and loves it, her bf comes in and kicks the stand over and tells me i had no bussines doing that, all the fish died, and she didn't even get mad, the nerve of some people........its ridicoulous, sorry i had to get that off my chest, its been bothering me all day

you should have beat the dude's This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.I would have

Wow I'm shocked to hear that..... I don't know if I would have been able to keep my cool in a situation like that. Did the guy kick it over on purpose or was it an accident? Why was he so mad???

Oh he did it on purpose, he thinks hes this big harley rebel 18 year old lol I didn't get a chance to do anything, the girl who owns the tank clocked him one heck of a good pop in the nose lol apperently last valentines day her ex boyfriend bought her the tank because thats what she wanted and he was killed not to long ago in a car accident so she was pretty partial to the tank ya know, I called her earlier and told her i would get her a new 10 gallon from walmart, just the tank not the kit since everything else was ok and put it back the way it was then buy her some fish and she dumped him for me....so YAY for me lol

oh yeah and as for fighting him lol I'm not a fighter, i'm a romantisist, I've had my share o fights i nthe past and i'm just lookin to settle down now lol

What an ignorant idiot! Some people deserve a beating, glad she got rid of him! I'm happy for you at least.

i went gone through anger management when i was younger and i was tought how to keep my cool but that definatly would have nicked a nerve. i mean u have to be a real *beep* to do that and i am sure that he new the sentimental value. he was obviously jealous of u becasue u spent the time with her and he didnt. his loss and your gain. its a win win situation lol

thats right, oh everyone was on him that night he about got tore to shreds if he didn't run out and jump in his 1968 mercury sundance with the broken engine mount and busted shock lol I went out about an hour ago and picked up the new tank, luckily she has to work on valentines day so her roommate is coming to get me and were going to deck it back out with the same fish she had ( 2 plecos a medium sized one and a baby, a bala shark and some kinda small silver fish with an elongated botton fin that i have yet to figure out what it is lol ) thats going to be my valentines gift to her along with a can of these vanilla coffee sticks that she just goes nuts over and a single red rose, all before a nicely cooked dinner I plan to cook by myself, I am a good cook, 8 years experience in the culinary arts lol so hopefully it will make her smile agian

I imagine he suspected you were after more than being her good friend. He saw the alterior motives for your interest in her tank.Apparently he was right! But, still no excuse for him to act like a total maniac. Chalk one up for the nice guys! I'd nix the bala in a 10 gallon.

talloulou said:
I imagine he suspected you were after more than being her good friend. He saw the alterior motives for your interest in her tank.

Good point, maybe he should have beat you up :?

tropicfishman said:
were going to deck it back out with the same fish she had ( 2 plecos a medium sized one and a baby, a bala shark and some kinda small silver fish with an elongated botton fin that i have yet to figure out what it is lol )

On a side note, those should not go in a ten gal tank. A bala shark will get WAY too big for the tank and I bet the pleco is a common (since they are so, well... common, ha) and those get to be insanly large as well.

lyquidphyre said:
tropicfishman said:
were going to deck it back out with the same fish she had ( 2 plecos a medium sized one and a baby, a bala shark and some kinda small silver fish with an elongated botton fin that i have yet to figure out what it is lol )

On a side note, those should not go in a ten gal tank. A bala shark will get WAY too big for the tank and I bet the pleco is a common (since they are so, well... common, ha) and those get to be insanly large as well.

Good point also.

Two thoughts, anger management and abusive? If my boyfriend did that to me it would be a sign to move out and get a restraining order. No matter the context of the situation he sounds a bit dangerous when angry.

actually let me rephrase that, its her ex boyfriend, who's trying to re date her and has been sleepiing on her couch, as for what i'm restocking the 10 gallon with, I have no other choice, she loved those fish and thats what she wants back i nthere, i opted to save and buy her a 29 even but she said she wanted the 10 gallon, i don't blame her since the guy that bought it for her is dead now, i guess she wantsto preserve the memoy

tropicfishman said:
as for what i'm restocking the 10 gallon with, I have no other choice, she loved those fish and thats what she wants back i nthere, i opted to save and buy her a 29 even but she said she wanted the 10 gallon, i don't blame her since the guy that bought it for her is dead now, i guess she wantsto preserve the memoy

Did you explain to her that those fish will NOT live long in a 10gal. Nicely explain to her that by putting them into a 10gal it will stunt their growth, harm their health and lead to more heartache. It's like raising an elephant in a bathroom. By knowing the background with fish, you should be able to educate her and when she sees WHY she can't keep them, she should understand. I would seriously try very hard to change her mind.

There is a misconception that fish will "grow to the tank". They don't, they continue to grow, if there is insufficient oxygen they will stop growing muscles, but their bones will still grow. the muscle acts like the string on a bow. the bone bends. this is irreversable.. make sure you keep an eye on the size of these fish, if she insists on having the same kind, then you could talk to the store that would more then likely gladly exchange the grown ones for smaller ones as they grow.

On a seperate note. Sounds like she brings some severe baggage with her, not trying to be cruel, just pointing out that she obviously wants to hang onto the memory of her deceased boyfriend. This cannot be good if you would like to date her. The best thing you can do is start new memories, take her to the fish store, let her pick ones that she thinks are pretty, you can offer guidance to what types of fish are suitable to the tank.

the arrogance of ppl is dumbfounding sometimes. bf's of girls especially in my opinion. but thats a different topic i am not gonan go into seems as how it has nothing to do with aquarium keeping...

but i could definitely go off in a 30 page tirade about that

TropicalFishMan, good for you. Sounds like the idiot got owned for being a dumb@$$. Hope things go well with the girl. Bit of advice, if the guy finds out you two end up together he might come looking for you. Trust me I know. lol!

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
On a seperate note. Sounds like she brings some severe baggage with her, not trying to be cruel, just pointing out that she obviously wants to hang onto the memory of her deceased boyfriend. This cannot be good if you would like to date her. The best thing you can do is start new memories, take her to the fish store, let her pick ones that she thinks are pretty, you can offer guidance to what types of fish are suitable to the tank.

if this isn't completely overstepping boundaries (and sorry if it is), as a psychology student, i have to agree with this 1000%. it seems like she's clinging desperately to an old love, somebody who she's probably still very much in love with, even though he's no longer alive. it happens all the time.

please try to convince her either to get a bigger tank (but 29 is still too small for bala and plecos though, IMO) or different fish. make a special day to go out to the LFS (or several if you have several) and show her what kinds of fish would do well in that size tank, and how she could have lots of them, etc.

you can make a very nice 10 gal setup... just not with those fish.

please try to convince her to get fish that would survive in that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom