Remodeling 10g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this ten gallon tank for my entire life so it's definitely time for a remodel and a good cleaning. Currently it just has some "feeder" (comet) goldfish in it that I'm growing a bit for my mom's outdoor pond where there is a very large goldfish (not sure what kind) and she's afraid it'll try to eat the little guys. I think that's much less of a problem than the intense temperature change that would happen if we moved them out now. But, long story short, they'll be out of the tank in a few weeks, and then I can start my remodel.

My tank is very established, has gravel for substrate, an under-gravel filter, and only some small rocks for decorations, as I moved the larger ones to my 55g.

Currently my only stocking plans are:
3x Peppered Corydoras (That are currently squirming in a 5gal temporary tank until I get their new home set up)
They're all less than an inch long so I was thinking of adding two or three more cories that will grow to a similar size.

Any suggestions for mid-top level swimmers that won't pester the cories?.. I know they get along with everyone, but not everyone gets along with them.

Substrate:
I am planning on leaving a small layer of gravel on the bottom to cover the under-gravel filter, but then put pool filter sand on top of that gravel since I know catfish flip out in sand. :) Has anyone ever tried this before? Does it work?

Decorations: I'll probably leave the rocks but try planting the tank and getting a larger "root like" decoration for the cories to play in. They have one in their current tank that they love so I may just put that one in there.

Anyone have any advice or concerns about my plan for remodeling? I'm really more interested on what you suggest would go well with my little cories.

-Morgan

greetings morgie;

it is unfortunate, but i do have to tell you that an buttom filter below the gravel will be of disturbance to a wide variety of live aquarium plants, it's being said that most plants don't like the downwards water flow around their roots. i'm not familar with using two different types of gravel, as i was recommend to refrain from attempting such, but to my knowledge, two types of gravel will in time get mixed together so much so that it'll be improbable to put the types apart, and since it's a buttom filter, i'm suspecting that the sand could over time be sucked downwards. it is indeed correct that it is strictly recommended that specimins of the corydoras have sand or otherwise minimal sized gravel to work with, as they can then dig down for things to eat, additionally, large size gravel can suposedly harm them when they attempt to dig.

if you really do want plants, make sure you purchase them at an expert that really knows what types of plants can thrive in an aquarium with a gravel filter. to my knowledge, my local aquarium expert knew of only three specimins that could thrive in such conditions.

for other types of 'swimmers', i can recommend Tanichthys albonubes. although i don't have any corydoras, i do have 4 other types of fish and they don't pay attention to them. i do also have red platywagtails, but as they're very happy for food, they'll probably be very interested in the specialized food the corydoras'll get to eat, which could be problematic. the platies also like a large area to swim around in, with plenty of plants etc, so they'll probably not work out for you. there's also brazhydanio rerio, but it's strictly recommended that they have 100 litres or more. all in all, the only fish i have personal experiance and knowledge with, and that i can recommend to you, is Tanichthys albonubes. or preferebly a larger aquarium. 35 litres is remarkably little space to live in.

sincerely;
nrk.

Just from studying my tank right now, we have about four inches of gravel over our filter, the filter takes care of about two inches of it and our gravel vac takes care of the top two inches. I'm thinking if I leave at least 1.5-2 inches of gravel and then cover it with two inches of sand it will probably be alright. If anything goes wrong I have some finer, rounder gravel that can be used, although I'd much prefer sand (and I'm sure the fishes would too). Right now my cories are being kept over a soft round gravel, that doesn't appear to be causing any damage to their barbels but I'd rather have them over sand just to be safe.

I actually have a mixed substrate aquarium (pool filter sand and larger, rounded gravel) and so far nothing is mixing and all is well. Although in that tank I don't have an under gravel filter.

I've used some of the "bulb" plants before in that tank and they've been okay. I will definitely be doing some more research though about the plants that can do well with an under gravel filter.

I really do like all of those fish you mentioned, but as you said they probably wouldn't be a proper fit for my aquarium. I was doing some research last night and I think I've come up with some potential tank combinations and I'd love to hear opinions on which ones would work the best for my tank and be the most appealing.

OPTION ONE:
-5x Corydoras
-2x Dalmatian Mollies

OPTION TWO:
-5x Corydoras
-5x Red Minor Tetra (or some other similar variety with peaceful temperament)

OPTION THREE:
-5x Corydoras
-?x Mickey Mouse Platies

OPTION FOUR:
-5x Corydoras
-1x Male Betta

OPTION FIVE:

-5x Corydoras
-3x American Flagfish

Sorry for such a long reply haha. :>
And thanks nrk for such useful information and advice.

That's what I'm leaning toward at the moment. The tetras or the platies. I haven't had either since I was REALLY young and I'm starting to feel nostalgic for them.

Back
Top Bottom