Removing a ugf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been thinking of removing my UGF from one of my tanks... So pretty straight forwards right? Well I kinda know a way to do it but I was wondering if there are anyway good ways to do this. I know I am going to have to take my plants out and rocks and all the decor. So should I catch my fish and put them in another tank? Also there is "gunk" under the filter obviously. So when I pull it out, all the waste will get stirred up correct? I just shouldn't have used it.
So my game plan is...
Drain some water from the tank into another.
Catch fish.
Tank plants and other decor out.
Either remove the gravel or pull it out.
Should I do a gravel vac of the whole tank before I pull the filter out? That way I can try and get all the waste out so it can't get stirred up?
Anyways thank you everyone

I couldn't decide if the thread Would fit better in this section or the getting started. But I figured this one would be good.

Sounds like you have thought this through! I pulled a UGF from a tank before (will never use one AGAIN!!) & basically followed your game plan-
1. remove the fish/plants to another tank or bucket
2. drained 1/2 tank. Removed the gravel then the UGF plates. Flush gravel with treated water
3. sucked the disgusting mess out, flushed with treated water & sucked the water out again
4. replaced the gravel & refilled & restocked
5. monitor water parameters for the next wk to make sure everything stays stable

Good luck!!! This is also a great time to switch up the substrate if you have been thinking about a change! :)

Lol ya I was thinking about sand and none of my hardware stores carry it so they would have to order it in for me...

So did you eventually end up taking out all of your water? Or fill it back up and let it settle then take more out? I assume that if I take all the gravel out cleaning the waste of the bottom glass wouldn't be that hard. I also noticed the last time I did a gravel vac, I can get a lot of junk from under the plates as well so that will help.

Also I have currently have an eheim 2213(65gallons) and an aquaclear 30 running on the tank as well so I don't think I all go three a mini cycle. But I will keep an eye on things to make sure

I suctioned out as much water as i could (couldnt completely empty it) & flushed with more water & emptied as much as i could again. You may not have to do this if the accumulation of junk isnt too bad but you will find out when you move the plates! Have you tried a pool & spa store for some pfs? Its super cheap- @$11 for 50pds but the only colors i have seen are either white or natural shades (beige/tan). I know its cheap online as well but i dont know what shipping would cost...

jlk said:
Sounds like you have thought this through! I pulled a UGF from a tank before (will never use one AGAIN!!) & basically followed your game plan-
1. remove the fish/plants to another tank or bucket
2. drained 1/2 tank. Removed the gravel then the UGF plates. Flush gravel with treated water
3. sucked the disgusting mess out, flushed with treated water & sucked the water out again
4. replaced the gravel & refilled & restocked
5. monitor water parameters for the next wk to make sure everything stays stable

Good luck!!! This is also a great time to switch up the substrate if you have been thinking about a change! :)

cover the temporary holding bucket/ tank. so your fish don't jump like mine did when I redid my tank :/

Alright sounds like a plan. Probably going to do it tomorrow. I'm so excited. I probably won't put in the sand but It is going to be in the near future.

Ok so near future is a lot closer then I thought, how many pounds would you recommend for me to get

Ok so near future is a lot closer then I thought, how many pounds would you recommend for me to get

LOL! What size tank is it? I usually go with a pound per gallon (maybe a bit more). A 50pd bag pfs is enough for a 55g at @2inches deph. You can always add more if needed! :)

Yes, 50lbs should be good! Just make sure you rinse it really well! Using a pillowcase seems to be the most effective way for rinsing it. :)

Ok sounds good. I'm gonna get my mother to pick it up hopefully tomorrow. I don't see the point in why both of us should drive there.

I'm no expert at all but would it b easier to take sum of the water in a container big enough for ur fish an plants then jus dump the tank,clean,fill with gravel then water then fish? Maybe use the water ur fish are holding in to keep sum of the beneficial bacteria? Again I'm no expert just sayin lol good luck tho

I'm no expert at all but would it b easier to take sum of the water in a container big enough for ur fish an plants then jus dump the tank,clean,fill with gravel then water then fish? Maybe use the water ur fish are holding in to keep sum of the beneficial bacteria? Again I'm no expert just sayin lol good luck tho

Maybe with a very small tank tank this would work. Water weighs @8pds gallon, plus the weight of the gravel, & tank. A 38g tank would weigh over 300pds with water plus another 40+pds of gravel plus the tank. Not something you can just pick up & dump. Placing a mesh bag (or piece of panythose) full of the dirty gravel in the tank after being cleaned would help seed the new sand with bacteria- the water holds very little bacteria. :)

So never move an aquarium with water in it. Here's a little story why. My friends, knowing nothing had a 100gallon... So it was maybe a quarter full when they started to move it. They were dragging it along the floor and all of a sudden thought it would be better to put more water into then move it. I said no but what do I no.
So they filled it a third of the way and started sliding it again. To rim at the bottom got snagged on the floor. All the water went from one side of the tank then back to the other and pop! And came a panel of glass. Couldn't handle the pressure of it on the one panel or something.

Also I have an eheim 2213 which is good for 65gallons and my aquaclear 30 as well. Both have media bags well the eheim is basically all media. So there is gonna be lots of BB. If turned the flow down on the powerhead do it will use less of that bacteria and build up more in the other filters. Also as mentioned before very little bb is in the water.
Also the sand compacts more then the gravel does so very little water would go into it I think. So it wouldn't matter if I seed it right??? I'm confused now...

Would it matter if you seed the new sand? Probably not considering you have heavy filtration with lots of room for bacteria & im sure theres plenty in there! As long as you monitor your water daily for a week after the change, you should be fine! I did see some spikes in ammonia/nitrite after removing the ugf, but nothing crazy. Just some extra water changes to keep things under control until the tank stabilized. Granted, you will not hurt anything by placing a bag of the old gravel in the tank after the switch but thats up to you. You will be fine! :)

Ya I could do it. It wouldn't hurt anything. I'm going to try and keep everythig in tank water. So all the plants and rockslate. I'm hoping the 30gal I sealed will hold water today it's been a week since I sealed it so I could try that... I can't find a bucket that I no 100% no chemicals have been put in it. :/ so I might need to run up to the hardware store.

Will my cories be good enough for stirring the sand up?

Honestly, i have no idea! When i do pwcs, i grav vac the sand & stir it up. The pfs sand is so heavy that it only comes 1/2way up the grav vac tube (its a big one) & doesnt get sucked up. It also settles super-quick if you want to stir it by hand with a big spoon/something similar. I read in another thread someone uses chopsticks to swirl through it without disturbing the sand. Just make sure you rinse it really well before using!

Haha my Light just turned on.. Seems like it will be fun. I also have another thing. if you put the sand majority at the back and have it all angle down towards the front. Have the front a little under the trim. And you never see the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom