Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Removing Algae From Dry Tank

Last night I drained my 6.6g tank after returning all the fish to a lfs. Now I have a thin hard algae that is very hard to scrape off left on the tank, and I'm not sure how to get it off. I can't use a scraper because it is a plastic (i think, its not acrylic or glass) and it scratches very easily. Even now that it is dry it is very hard to remove. Could I use bleach to remove it? My beneficial bacteria are being saved in my sponge filter that's still running in something else, so I feel like it may be safe to bleach or do something similar, as nothing but the tank (which is all one piece, so siliconed edges) would be effected.
PS, found this article online randomly: 5 Reasons Why Artificial Plants Are Better Than Live Plants | Home Aquaria I am doing dirted and planted too.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Try white vinegar, 50% mix with water, soak, than use soft brush.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Problem solved! Before seeing that idea, I just tried going hard at it with a firm brush, and I got basically everything off, started the hard scape tonight, will finish tomorrow and get started

Tags
algae, dry, moving, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com