Removing hard water stains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive got an empty aquarium that Im cleaning up that has some hard water stains. Ive removed that vast majority of them, but there's some faint lines left toward the bottom that are giving me some grief. Vinegar and elbow grease aren't cutting it. Does anybody have some other aquarium safe solutions?

That doesn't make sense to me. If I remember my elementary school science fairs correctly, vinegar and baking soda have a chemical reaction (ie clay model volcano). Plus, Im trying to remove calcium deposits and baking soda would be adding more calcium.
None the less, I'll see if a paste forms after its done fizzing and give it a try.

I use Bar Keeper's Friend. The primary ingredient is oxalic acid, which IMO is the next step above vinegar. It does wonders on hard water stains on aquarium glass as well as my pots & pans. I rinse it real good afterwards. But it's not a harsh acid and I don't do anything special to make sure it's removed. In fact, I don't even wear gloves when cleaning. I don't have to use elbow grease unless it's crusty / thick layer.

i usually lay the aquarium on whichever side im cleaning and then pour vinegar to cover that glass pane and leave it overnight. Then scrap it with a razor blade.

If that doesnt work bar keepers friends will loosen it up too.

I've never heard of Barkeepers Friend. Should I just check the "cleaner" section of my grocery store?

Yes. It comes in a cardboard can similar to Comet. BKF is also a powder.

Just done the baking soda and distilled vinegar trick and it worked instantly.

Thanks so much.

Defo try it

Back
Top Bottom