Removing hydra in a planted shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi!

Just noticed some hydra sticking to the walls of my heavily planted 5.5 gal RCS/betta tank. What's the best way to get rid of them? Obviously I'll be increasing PWCs and manually removing them but I don't think I can reduce feeding any lower (I only feed the betta and he doesn't get a ton to begin with). There are only about 6-8 RCS in there and one is a berried female. Other inhabitants include pond snails, some MTS, and one baby assassin snail.

Should I remove the RCS for now? If I do remove the RCS do I risk contaminating the new tank they would go in? Will my betta eat the hydra at all?

I'd like to avoid the Fenbendazole method unless they get out of hand but I'm open to any advice regarding that technique and/or any other helpful ones!

Thanks!

Every time you pluck one of them and don't get the whole thing it can multiply with each piece.

I used the liquid goat dewormer and it went perfectly. There are a couple threads I had, one has dosing if you need it. You can do a search for Goat dewormer and it should come up. Didn't have any loss of shrimp or snails.

Just so you know you have that available to you without harming the little guys.

Thanks for the info, guys! Was hoping to avoid it but gotta do what you gotta do!

If you don't have a lot of them you can individually squirt each on with hydrogen peroxide and then suck them up with the syringe since it kills them. But if you have a heavy infestation using the above mentioned treatment is the way to go.

Thanks for the info, guys! Was hoping to avoid it but gotta do what you gotta do!

It's really no biggie, it's just a dewormer so it's not like nuking your biofilter or anything. The problem with hydra is manual removal can be done but it just controls the population rather than eradicates it, since they are so hard to see and can be anchored onto any surface. Another good alternative is to get a fish that eats them, but that becomes an issue in a shrimp tank.

Good, it's a relief that it isn't going to mess up my tank. Time to eradicate!

Back
Top Bottom