Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Removing medication.

Is there a reason why you need to remove medication at the end of a treatment period? Is it bad for the fish for the medication to stay in the water beyond the treatment needed? Or does it go off?

Old 06-19-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
Is there a reason why you need to remove medication at the end of a treatment period? Is it bad for the fish for the medication to stay in the water beyond the treatment needed? Or does it go off?

I think that with your normal cleaning and water changes you should be fine, in my opinion there is not need to ďremoveĒ the medication immediately
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:42 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaramillo01 View Post
I think that with your normal cleaning and water changes you should be fine, in my opinion there is not need to ďremoveĒ the medication immediately

Was thinking same for the normal meds but pondering on antibiotics? eg perhaps less impact on bacterial filters
Old 06-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Was thinking same for the normal meds but pondering on antibiotics? eg perhaps less impact on bacterial filters
I take your point on antibiotics.

We arent allowed antibiotic medications here in UK without vet prescription. At least not allowed anything containing nifurpirinol which i believe covers the effective aquarium antibiotics. Whenever you guys are discussing medications i always look it up and "nope, not allowed here". Although they're actually pretty easy to get hold of online.

Perhaps if you have removed inverts from a tank while using medication not safe for use with it, using carbon will mean you can get them back in the tank quicker? Although is it the metals in the medication rather than any organic compounds that the carbon will remove that is harmful?

I was medicating a tank and thought i need to get some carbon in the filter to remove it when complete. But i have run out and need to get some. I then thought, why? Is it harmful to leave it in there and rely on water changes to remove it?
Old 06-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
I take your point on antibiotics.

We arent allowed antibiotic medications here in UK without vet prescription. At least not allowed anything containing nifurpirinol which i believe covers the effective aquarium antibiotics. Whenever you guys are discussing medications i always look it up and "nope, not allowed here". Although they're actually pretty easy to get hold of online.

Perhaps if you have removed inverts from a tank while using medication not safe for use with it, using carbon will mean you can get them back in the tank quicker? Although is it the metals in the medication rather than any organic compounds that the carbon will remove that is harmful?

I was medicating a tank and thought i need to get some carbon in the filter to remove it when complete. But i have run out and need to get some. I then thought, why? Is it harmful to leave it in there and rely on water changes to remove it?

I always did a water change when using medications. Mainly due to the fact that nobody really has any idea what properties of what particular medication carbon is removing if at all whereas you know with water changes its going out.

When talking about old hat methods you always need to stop and ask yourself, hold on, as any of this ever truly been tested or is this something that everyone has said for generations so it must be true? Where did this come from? When did it start?

I know carbon removes chlorine and I know it makes the water clearer but I have no idea if it is removing all chemical properties of certain medication but water changes eventually will.

Tags
medication, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com