Removing medication.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aiken Drum

Site Team
Is there a reason why you need to remove medication at the end of a treatment period? Is it bad for the fish for the medication to stay in the water beyond the treatment needed? Or does it go off?

Is there a reason why you need to remove medication at the end of a treatment period? Is it bad for the fish for the medication to stay in the water beyond the treatment needed? Or does it go off?

I think that with your normal cleaning and water changes you should be fine, in my opinion there is not need to “remove” the medication immediately

I think that with your normal cleaning and water changes you should be fine, in my opinion there is not need to “remove” the medication immediately

Was thinking same for the normal meds but pondering on antibiotics? eg perhaps less impact on bacterial filters

Was thinking same for the normal meds but pondering on antibiotics? eg perhaps less impact on bacterial filters
I take your point on antibiotics.

We arent allowed antibiotic medications here in UK without vet prescription. At least not allowed anything containing nifurpirinol which i believe covers the effective aquarium antibiotics. Whenever you guys are discussing medications i always look it up and "nope, not allowed here". Although they're actually pretty easy to get hold of online.

Perhaps if you have removed inverts from a tank while using medication not safe for use with it, using carbon will mean you can get them back in the tank quicker? Although is it the metals in the medication rather than any organic compounds that the carbon will remove that is harmful?

I was medicating a tank and thought i need to get some carbon in the filter to remove it when complete. But i have run out and need to get some. I then thought, why? Is it harmful to leave it in there and rely on water changes to remove it?

I take your point on antibiotics.

We arent allowed antibiotic medications here in UK without vet prescription. At least not allowed anything containing nifurpirinol which i believe covers the effective aquarium antibiotics. Whenever you guys are discussing medications i always look it up and "nope, not allowed here". Although they're actually pretty easy to get hold of online.

Perhaps if you have removed inverts from a tank while using medication not safe for use with it, using carbon will mean you can get them back in the tank quicker? Although is it the metals in the medication rather than any organic compounds that the carbon will remove that is harmful?

I was medicating a tank and thought i need to get some carbon in the filter to remove it when complete. But i have run out and need to get some. I then thought, why? Is it harmful to leave it in there and rely on water changes to remove it?

I always did a water change when using medications. Mainly due to the fact that nobody really has any idea what properties of what particular medication carbon is removing if at all whereas you know with water changes its going out.

When talking about old hat methods you always need to stop and ask yourself, hold on, as any of this ever truly been tested or is this something that everyone has said for generations so it must be true? Where did this come from? When did it start?

I know carbon removes chlorine and I know it makes the water clearer but I have no idea if it is removing all chemical properties of certain medication but water changes eventually will.

Back
Top Bottom