Removing medication color from silicone seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsx

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, the fungal medication turned the silicone seals on my QT tank bright blue. Any way to remove this? Even though the meds are removed now,
the water still looks blue because of this.

It's official - I'm a Finatic!!!! :D

Don't you just hate those meds that make your QT tank look like tidybowl water? :x
Activated carbon in your filter will remove the meds and the color from your water, but it will take a very, very long time for the color to be disappear from the seals.
Chances are that you will be medicating again long before the color has leached out.
That's why I keep my QT under the stand and out of sight - it's ugly.

Congrats, QTOFFER! :D

I posted this question quite a while ago. The suggestions I got were to empty the tank (I waited until the betta died :( ) and rinse with a bleach solution. Rinse the tank very well, let water sit in the tank and add lots of dechlorinator, empty and rinse again. I also read that letting the tank sit out in the sun will help remove bleach residue too.

There are still some stains on my silicone, but it has lightened. I don't think I used enough bleach, because I was too afraid of not getting it all out! The stains do lighten in time, but they are still somewhat noticable.

Another way, if you're handy with DIY projects, is to take the stained silicone out, and reseal the tank. There are a few sticky posts or articles that tell how to reseal a tank.

If you are worried about getting all the bleach out (and of course we must all make sure to remove any fish first :D ) then just use some good old dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom