Removing one of two filters in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadowstars123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Suppose you have two filters inside a fully established aquarium, would it affect the amount of ammonia and nitrate the filter can handle if you took one out? In other words would it affect the tank at all if you removed one of two filters?

Only if the one you left behind could not sustain the necessary amount of nitrifying bacteria for the bioload. But in most cases you would be fine.

Suppose you have two filters inside a fully established aquarium, would it affect the amount of ammonia and nitrate the filter can handle if you took one out? In other words would it affect the tank at all if you removed one of two filters?

You should be fine, maybe a mini cycle or bacteria bloom and those are easy to over come.

Are you reducing the bio-load of the tank losing the filter? If so, that's a good thing IMO, if not and one filter is bigger than the other, leave the bigger one in place is what I'd recommend.

You should be fine, maybe a mini cycle or bacteria bloom and those are easy to over come.

Are you reducing the bio-load of the tank losing the filter? If so, that's a good thing IMO, if not and one filter is bigger than the other, leave the bigger one in place is what I'd recommend.

As of a few hours ago, I just removed the smaller filter and placed it in another tank for breeding guppies. I have not reduced the bio-load, and in the case of a mini cycle, what do you suppose I should do?

As of a few hours ago, I just removed the smaller filter and placed it in another tank for breeding guppies. I have not reduced the bio-load, and in the case of a mini cycle, what do you suppose I should do?

Just let it be, the bacteria will recover quickly IME. If you're going to a PWC I'd suggest passing on cleaning the gravel once (excess poo=extra bacteria to battle it). If you see a white cloudiness in the tank water, it'll be a bacterial bloom (excess bacteria looking for a place to settle) and a PWC 3 days in a row will clear it up.

Just let it be, the bacteria will recover quickly IME. If you're going to a PWC I'd suggest passing on cleaning the gravel once (excess poo=extra bacteria to battle it). If you see a white cloudiness in the tank water, it'll be a bacterial bloom (excess bacteria looking for a place to settle) and a PWC 3 days in a row will clear it up.

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom