Renters Insurance covering Aquarium Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harleycodr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
My property management company said in order for me to have my aquarium, I have to have it specifically stated in my Renters Insurance policy that any water damage coming from my aquarium is covered. I can't get my agent on the phone (great customer service - NOT). They sent me a copy of my policy and highlighted things about water damage, but none of it specifically mentioned an aquarium.

Does anyone know of any insurance policy with this kind of coverage? FYI I have State Farm but if my agent doesn't get back to me, I'm shopping for new insurance.

The aquarium is doing very well; it's been up for 13 days now and my chemistry levels are surprisingly healthy!

Hi all
My property management company said in order for me to have my aquarium, I have to have it specifically stated in my Renters Insurance policy that any water damage coming from my aquarium is covered. I can't get my agent on the phone (great customer service - NOT). They sent me a copy of my policy and highlighted things about water damage, but none of it specifically mentioned an aquarium.

Does anyone know of any insurance policy with this kind of coverage? FYI I have State Farm but if my agent doesn't get back to me, I'm shopping for new insurance.

The aquarium is doing very well; it's been up for 13 days now and my chemistry levels are surprisingly healthy!

We have State Farm too, our agent sucks! Like a good neighbor my butt. My apartment has never cared about our aquariums, but my apartment complex also requires a $100k accidental damage coverage that protects other occupants of the building and I believe if anything happened to our aquariums it would be covered under that policy, at least that is what I understood from reading it anyway. A ton of apartments completely forbid any water filled furniture(which our tanks are) so at least be happy that they'll allow it if its insured. Just keep calling your agent every couple of hours or at least 3 times a day, that's what we do and now they know when we call not to stuff us around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm in a house. I had a wonderful 20 gallon hex tank when I had my own home and when I moved here, I didn't want to hassle with one more thing so I gave it away (so sad) but I really wanted an aquarium again and got one for free.

I'll keep trying - I did leave a voice mail saying if I don't hear from them by the end of the day, I'll be shopping for new insurance. I insure my two autos with them too; I"m sure they don't want to lose me. Our two Harleys are with Progressive...maybe I'll have to give "Flo" a call...

I guess I'm lucky, our State Farm insurance agent has always been super helpful and responsive... I believe they do cover water damage from an aquarium as long as the aquarium is called out under the list of special/expensive things that your policy is covering. I have a 75 gallon and a 20 gallon tank in my condo and had no issue getting them listed alongside all our electronics and such.

Back
Top Bottom