Replacing carbon cartridge ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keke89

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys and gals

It's been about 3 months, so should I replace my charcoal (carbon) cartridge ?

I have a 15 gallon tank.
I have a Pann Plax 400 cascade internal filter with bio foam and then a carbon ( charcoal ).

On the leaflet it talks about replacing monthly, but someone told me it's every 3 months.

Questions:

1) When must I replace?
2) any advise when doing it?
3) will water parameters be influenced?

Thank you all!!!

Carbon is actually unnecessary in aquariums unless you're using it for a specific reason such as removing meds from the water. You can take the carbon out and replace it with more biomax or something like filter floss. Beneficial bacteria does colonize the carbon though so just be aware of a possible mini-cycle that could occur. This will likely depend on how much biofoam you have.

Althogh, asmodan says, it isn't necessary, activated is good for keeping your water that bit clearer by adsorbing the dissolved organic compounds that give aquarium that yellow tinge. Change every two to three months depending on your fish loading.

If the cartridge is one of those thin carbon impregnated pads, I would change every month. This can prove expensive though, in which case I would leave out as suggested.

Cool, it is actually carbon pellets. Great will change them this week, and will keep an eye out for my parameters.

Thank you!!!

Many people run tanks without using carbon. If you do a large weekly water change you will keep toxin and nutrient levels low and unless you have some driftwood that is leaching tannins heavily you won't have to worry about discolored water. I tend to use 100% Polyfill instead of carbon and replace it when it gets dirty. Carbon only lasts 2 to 4ish weeks in most tanks depending on individual tank conditions before its pores are fully clogged. After pores are clogged it becomes media for additional bb growth as already mentioned. So if you want actively working carbon you should change it monthly IMO, otherwise every 2 or 3 months is fine.

Back
Top Bottom