Replacing Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isherwoodc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, our gravel has got pretty cruddy, and I think I'd like to just replace it and give it all a good full clear out in the process.

Here's what we currently have; Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I'm wondering how best to do it, as we don't have another tank for the fish, so I was hoping to do it while they were still in there. I've read up about it a bit and understand that the good bacteria probably lives on the existing gravel so I don't want to remove it all at once.

I was wondering if I could gradually take the current gravel out (maybe starting one end) and replace it with new (washed) gravel giving it time to gain that bacteria and settle as I go along.

Any ideas?

^ if you can do that i would. The gravel has some BB but the filter is where its at for the most part. Personally i would put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water and change about 50% of the gravel at a time. Spread out maybe over a week.

I recently wanted to clean and redecorate. I put fish in 5 gal bucket. remove all decor and stirred gravel as i drained tank. I then added about 4 in water stirred some more and drained again. this gor rid of most of the goop. i then redecorated refilled all but 5 gal with water added prime . Let filter and heater run for about 30 min and added fish and 5 gal of old water.

Back
Top Bottom