Replacing Serpae Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jconner3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have 7 Serpae Tetras in my tank that Ive had for about 4-5 and up until recently I haven't any problems other than an occasional nip at an angel. As of last week however, they have been nipping at my fish pretty religiously. I'm not sure if it's because a couple of them died so their school size is smaller or if it's because I rescaped the tank and they're freaked out. I was looking into some different red fish to replace them if things don't calm down. All I could really find was the bleeding heart tetra and the red phantom tetra but neither of those fish look like they have the deep red color of the Serpae Tetra. Are there any other choices that are actually "red"?

I'd say it's a combo of having longed finned fish with a small school ... I'm assuming your down to 4-5 Serpae? They are fin nippers just like TigerBarbs and the larger the school, the more apt they are to fight with each other. I'd say add however many you lost ... maybe one more and you should return back to before. No guarantees however when it comes to fin-nippers.

A fish that has a rich red color are Cherry barbs ... not as large as Serpae, but they are more peaceful.

jcolon said:
I'd say it's a combo of having longed finned fish with a small school ... I'm assuming your down to 4-5 Serpae? They are fin nippers just like TigerBarbs and the larger the school, the more apt they are to fight with each other. I'd say add however many you lost ... maybe one more and you should return back to before. No guarantees however when it comes to fin-nippers.

A fish that has a rich red color are Cherry barbs ... not as large as Serpae, but they are more peaceful.

I have 7 down from 9. There are a couple of Angels in the tank, but they're not being nipped any more than the other fish. I may try adding a few more Serpaes to see if they calm down again.

Oh Ok ... after re-reading your original post ... you did mention currently having 7. You could certainly go back up to 9 ... that may do it. Keep us updated on this.

Went out at bought 5 more bringing the total to 12, hopefully I don't have to get rid of them because I really like their coloration.

I think this new batch of Serpae tetras are especially mean, all of my fish are missing chunks of their tails. I'm going to give them another day then they will all have to be rehomed :\

Well I took all the Serpaes back today, didn't find any red fish to replace them with. Any suggestions?

Well I took all the Serpaes back today, didn't find any red fish to replace them with. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear this, but you made the right call. The only red fish i can think of that are generally peaceful are male cherry barbs.

How big is your tank? I like ember and cardinal tetras as well as black ruby barbs.

Check on some Red Miner Tetras. They resemble Serpae, but are much less aggresive.

azmodan said:
How big is your tank? I like ember and cardinal tetras as well as black ruby barbs.

It's a 40 breeder. I was thinking of red phantom tetras, But I can't find them anywhere.

foster53 said:
Check on some Red Miner Tetras. They resemble Serpae, but are much less aggresive.

I thought they were the same thing? Are they not?

Red Phantom are basically the same, I've 7 in a tank and to start out with they where all very nippy, 2 had the fins shredders, though back in good health now and thankfully things have calmed down after a few weeks.

Borderlesscott said:
Red Phantom are basically the same, I've 7 in a tank and to start out with they where all very nippy, 2 had the fins shredders, though back in good health now and thankfully things have calmed down after a few weeks.

Well that's certainly a bummer. I looked into ruby barbs and some others, but they all have the "torpedo" shaped body and I already have too many fish with that shape. Maybe I'll get bleeding heart tetras If I can't find anything else.

Back
Top Bottom