Request build ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Happy Sunday everyone! I was at church this morning and was asked by the preachers wife to build a tank for the preacher for their anniversary. It's on May 31st so I don't have tons of time but I have ideas on how to make it work.

I have a 5 foot horizontal floor space to work with and plenty of budget as long as it's not excessive.

This is the space:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430068855.796488.jpg
Yes, it's in front of a window. She said they can put some blinds over the window.

Need some stocking ideas. They like FLASHY and colorful. I was thinking guppies and cories. Need some other ideas that are not hard to find due to my time frame.

This is a low maintenance tank. No live plants that need trimming or anything. I plan on scraping with rocks, sand, and driftwood. Along with some kinda natural fake plants.

I'm using one of my filters at home to auto cycle the tank.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Something extremely easy for beginners would be best, assuming they have no prior experience

29g tank and stand. They're 30" long, gives plenty of room on either side to take care of cleaning and such.

School of neons or cardinals
School of glowlight tetras
School of Cory's
Something colorful and flowy for center piece, like paradise gouramis

Koolguy ,
I had a tank in front of a window,I took a curtain rod and placed it halfway up,a little over the tank put a wool blanket over it then some some more eye pleasing material over that.This way I could still get some light and the tank was insulated.
O ya,I put some Styrofoam sheets between the blanket .
Wish you the best on your gift to your congregation .

Thanks for the replies guys.
Boesemani rainbows would be cool.

Boesemani are definitely cool but IMO need a 55 for lateral swimming space.

Angelfish? Dwarf cichlids like apistos? If they want flashy they gotta have some kind of cichlid.

My brother suggested an angelfish and I like the idea. That means no neons or micro fish though.

Something extremely easy for beginners would be best, assuming they have no prior experience

29g tank and stand. They're 30" long, gives plenty of room on either side to take care of cleaning and such.

School of neons or cardinals
School of glowlight tetras
School of Cory's
Something colorful and flowy for center piece, like paradise gouramis

Thanks Hensley, still undecided on the Cory species but I definitely think they are a great active addition.

I was thinking of maybe a gourami centerpiece or maybe the angel above.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If a 55 won't go in 5 horizontal feet of space(?)with plenty of budget(?) then what size tank will be used may help in stocking suggestions.

If a 55 won't go in 5 horizontal feet of space(?)with plenty of budget(?) then what size tank will be used may help in stocking suggestions.

I think I'm shooting for 45 max. Or a 40 breeder. They are beginners and I definitely don't want to go too big.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

40 b would be sweet!
And give them room in stand for stuff(thinking ahead).
So,
Angel(s)
Cories
How about Odessa barbs(males)?
Glow lights get a little bigger then most tetras(along with black neons)?

I second the glowlights idea. They're colorful and nearly indestructible. My glowlight tetras have survived 24 hours at 60 degrees and 48 hours at 90 degrees just in the past 6 months. Only lost two of them at 60 degrees (none at 90).

I don't know what your church is like but my fiance and I's church can get insanely hot in the summer, it's not AC'd. And also power outages are common in winter, and at a church people may not be around to take care of the fish always, so if that happens down there you should consider eurythermal fish.

40 b would be sweet!
And give them room in stand for stuff(thinking ahead).
So,
Angel(s)
Cories
How about Odessa barbs(males)?
Glow lights get a little bigger then most tetras(along with black neons)?

No black neons. I had them a while back and really just didn't like them.

Given the budget I have. I plan on a good stand with plenty of room.

I'll have to look up the Odessa.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

It sounds like the idea was to have the tank at the preacher's house.

That was my understanding.

I also have glowlights and I like them, but I like my rummynose tetras better. In their first couple of weeks in the tank they are somewhat fragile, but after that they are the hardiest fish I've had.

I second the rainbowfish idea.

It sounds like the idea was to have the tank at the preacher's house.

That was my understanding.

I also have glowlights and I like them, but I like my rummynose tetras better. In their first couple of weeks in the tank they are somewhat fragile, but after that they are the hardiest fish I've had.

I second the rainbowfish idea.

To clarify its in his office. Not his house.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

5 neon dwarf rainbows
8 peppered cories
2 Bolivian rams
10 Cardinal tetras

Not sure what size tank this could fit in.

How's this sound?

I really like dwarf rainbows but none are sold around here that I'm aware of. Due to time scale I'm not ordering any fish for this. Only what's local.

I'm iffy on the Bolivain Rams. Don't want aggression if they were to try and spawn...

How's this look? This is a 45g tank. Running an Aquaclear 70 HOB.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430075921.656364.jpg

PWC: 30% a week.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom