Rescued fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ynotony

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have recently come I to ownership of a few unwanted fish from a friend of mine....

1x spotted Raphael
1x salvini chiclid
And 1 sailfin pleco

He gave me his whole setup which was a ten gallon that housed all three fish as he didn't know what he was doing the water was pretty dirty and disgusting so I cleaned there tank up a little bit and they are all fine ATM.... But I would like to get them into my main tank eventually which leads to my question as I'm not familiar with the spotted or the salvini

My question is will the cichlid and others get along with my fish in my main tank as they can't stay in the ten gallon for long. My tank only has a gar and a catfish in it along with 5 black neons. My tank is a 75 gal

Gar is 3 inches and the cat fish is 3 inches as well

I forsee the salvini pecking at the neons. Same with the gar when it gets a bit bigger. You may consider increasing the number of neons to increase their chances of survival. The cats and pleco will get along fine. If the pleco lives long enough, it will also probably outgrow your tank. A sailfin in a 10g...poor guy.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't transferred anything yet as I want to keep an eye on them for a few days....I think that was the wise choice since they came from poor conditions and I don't want my main system infected if they are carrying anything

The female salvini i had about a year ago is still probably the toughest cichlid I've ever owned pound for pound... wouldn't start fights with anyone but was always willing to fight with my larger male jaguar cichlid and midas if they wanted to try picking on her. She was extremely territorial, liked guarding her 1 cave and never strayed too far from it except to eat. In your case, it may leave your other fish alone but i wouldn't be surprised at all if you woke up 1 morning to find all your neons missing. As for the Raphael cats, i had a group of 3 for a very short time but mine happened to be extremely shy and boring so i sold them... cool looking fish though.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd worry more about the gar eating the tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a spotted Raphael. This fish is 100% nocturnal, and very peaceful. I only see him when i clean the tank to make sure he is alive. They should have sand substrate as they enjoy burrowing in the sand.

The problem I had with my Raphael is they are extensive hiders, if that is a word. I had a log decoration that had a hollow offshoot inside it. The raphael lived in the offshoot, never coming out at all. It took me a long time to get him out. So now all decorations in his tank are single structure, meaning he still has hiding places but nothing he can burrow into except the sand.

I really never see my Raphael, which is a shame because they are so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom