Rescuing Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrimsonBlayde

Aquarium Advice Regular
A friend of mine has asked me to take her husband's two fish, with his permission. I don't have them yet, so I am not 100% sure of the species or water parameters. I know he has been lax on water changes. I know there are 2 tetras, most likely red-eye, that have been alone in a 10 gallon.

Two questions:

1) If I put them in my QT tank with the water they come with, how slowly should I add clean water? Will the Prime in the clean water "clean" the old water and shock them?

2) Once through QT (30 days), they will be moving to my heavily planted 30 gallon community tank. I know these are schooling fish. My thought is that I should get at least 4 more. However, if they have been alone for 2 years, maybe they would not like buddies? I would need to make this choice quickly, because any additions would also need a 30 day QT.

Thanks!

They are red eye tetras. Came to me in a half gallon of toxic water. Ammonia 0.25, nitrAte over 160 ppm and the pH was dark dark purple, at least 8.8.

It has been almost five hours of slowly adding clean water. Now they are in about 1.25 gallons with. pH of 8.2. My tap runs at 7.6, so I have a way to go!

Sounds like all is going well? I'm not sure on the prime, I guess it would be a slow adjustment as well but the prime website is not very forthcoming on how it works to make nitrate safe unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom