Resealing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil_ryu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys haven't been on here for awhile but I just have a general question that I might know the answer to already but I thought I'd just ask. So I was able to score a free 120g turtle tank that's been sitting inside a house for about 3-4 months so they say. Would you reseal the tank. I mean the seals look great just haven't had the time to actually test it. The tank needs cleaning which is in the works as well.I'll try to get pictures of it soon. Thanks

Edit here is the tank when I got it and some of the corner seals. Also it came with 2 fluval 404 that work like a charm

Attachments

• 20160206_161219.jpg
    20160206_161219.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20160209_202450.jpg
    20160209_202450.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160209_202510.jpg
    20160209_202510.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 61
  • 20160209_202524.jpg
    20160209_202524.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 65
It's really hard to see from the pictures. When I get a second hand tank I test it dry by seeking if the sealant can be lifted with a finger nail. Also I look for bubbling of the sealant and how ell it was originally done. Finally I fill it and it's easy to see if the water is seeping under the sealant, even if the tank is not leaking (could be trouble ahead).
I recently was given a tank to use as a QT. I trimmed back the silicon that looked suspect and resealed over the top. It was a QT so needn't be pretty but, even if I say so myself, it ended up a pretty neat job.
Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's really hard to see from the pictures. When I get a second hand tank I test it dry by seeking if the sealant can be lifted with a finger nail. Also I look for bubbling of the sealant and how ell it was originally done. Finally I fill it and it's easy to see if the water is seeping under the sealant, even if the tank is not leaking (could be trouble ahead).
I recently was given a tank to use as a QT. I trimmed back the silicon that looked suspect and resealed over the top. It was a QT so needn't be pretty but, even if I say so myself, it ended up a pretty neat job.
Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you I did the nail thing and my nail was able to take the seal off. That was my whole assumption to reseal the tank. Updated after 2 hr I was able to get the front and side panels clean and clear,next is the back. Sorry I vaped into the tank :lol:

Attachments

• 20160210_225658.jpg
    20160210_225658.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 61
A little update spent another 2hrs clean and almost there. Quick question has anyone ever resealed a tank without removing the original seal, like just going over the old seal. I know stupid question

Attachments

• 20160211_223114.jpg
    20160211_223114.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 53
Not removing the seal is a really bad idea for a number of reasons. If the old seal has voids, they will still be there. Worse, new silicone does not adhere that well to old silicone. It will also look bad. If you are going to re-seal do it right and remove the old seal. Removing the old seal can be tedious, because you want to remove all the old silicone. Have lots of single edge razor blades handy, and when you are sure you have removed it all, go over it again with a new blade. Wipe the seam area with alcohol or acetone before applying the new silicone, and wear nitrile gloves to avoid getting skin oils where you will be applying the silicone. If you aren't familiar/comfortable applying the silicone, buy a tube of really cheap caulk and practice on a cardboard box. With a large tank it is easier if you have a helper to assist with turning the tank. You need to work quickly when applying the silicone, so, I do a dry run to make sure I have the moves down pat.So, while not technically difficult, a little planning makes it go much more quickly, which helps ensure good results.
Keep in mind that if the tank was correctly built it won't leak, even without the inner seal.

Not removing the seal is a really bad idea for a number of reasons. If the old seal has voids, they will still be there. Worse, new silicone does not adhere that well to old silicone. It will also look bad. If you are going to re-seal do it right and remove the old seal. Removing the old seal can be tedious, because you want to remove all the old silicone. Have lots of single edge razor blades handy, and when you are sure you have removed it all, go over it again with a new blade. Wipe the seam area with alcohol or acetone before applying the new silicone, and wear nitrile gloves to avoid getting skin oils where you will be applying the silicone. If you aren't familiar/comfortable applying the silicone, buy a tube of really cheap caulk and practice on a cardboard box. With a large tank it is easier if you have a helper to assist with turning the tank. You need to work quickly when applying the silicone, so, I do a dry run to make sure I have the moves down pat.So, while not technically difficult, a little planning makes it go much more quickly, which helps ensure good results.
Keep in mind that if the tank was correctly built it won't leak, even without the inner seal.

Thanks just thought I'd asked I've resealed 2 29g tanks with no issues, this one is going to be fun

Good luck to you. Keep in mind you will have to work very quickly as that tank is much larger than the 29s. In some ways it will be easier because there is more room to work. This is why I suggested a helper to help rotate the tank so you can more easily access the seams comfortably.

So what happens when you have a tank up and running for years and you want to spot treat a section that may be suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Been keeping fish for 16 years or so, and never had to reseal my tank. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by this last comment? What is an inner seal vs any other "seal".

I ask as I have been searching craigslist for larger tanks, looking to find a similar deal to the OP, and was wondering about tanks that have been sitting around for awhile.

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom