resiak 38g log [update 5-20-06]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resiak

Aquarium Advice Regular
38g.
Lighting - JBJ Formosa Delux 2x96w compact flourecent.
Filter - Eheim classic 2217
Subsrate - Eco Complete
DIY Co2 - 2 1 gallon jugs, DIY Inline co2 reactor on the output of my eheim

Plants,

1. vallisneria americana -(Jungle vals)
2. Rotala rotundifolia
3. Hygrophia difformis -(Wisteria)
4. Bacopa monnieri - (MoneyWort)
5. Elatine Triandra-(Long stem water wort)
6. Eleocharis Acicularis -(Dwarf Hairgrass)
7. xmas moss
8. Hemianthus micranthemoides -(Pearl Weed)

Ferts,

My dosing schedule is,

Even days of the week:

KNo3 (Potassium Nitrate) - 23.84ppm
KP04 (Mono Potassium Phosphate) = 1.5ppm

On odd days I dose traces:

CSM+b - .15ppm Fe

After water change:

ks2O4 (Potassium Sulfate) - 18.71ppm "I do 50% water change once a week"

I haven't been payin much attention to aquascapin as I am still learning to grow the plants.

Attachments

• fulltankshot_150.jpg
    fulltankshot_150.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 59
  • saeandrock__medium__139.jpg
    saeandrock__medium__139.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 31
  • tankpic_188.jpg
    tankpic_188.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 51
5-3-06

5-3-06

I got over run by green spot algae on 5-1-06 so I changed my p04 to 2ppm instead of 1.5 ppm. I also scrubbed the tank and did a 50% water change.

Attachments

• r_rotundifolia_117.jpg
    r_rotundifolia_117.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 47
  • tank_5-3-06_copy_126.jpg
    tank_5-3-06_copy_126.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 52
That tank and your plants are looking great, resiak. Just FYI, you're around .15ppm Fe from CSM+B if using the calcs from before. I think your dosing adjustment is perfect for the green spot.

Are you going to keep splitting ET to fill out the carpet or do you prefer some open foreground?

Hrm hrm lol =P

Thanx Joe, I want it to fill in the whole forground. However, I wasn't aware of the fact that I had to keep splitting it. I figured it would fill in on it's own?

Dan

It will spread and fill out and you don't have to split it, but you can get it to fill out faster by filling in the bare spots with trimmings. As a bonus, when you trim ET it will branch at the cutpoint, and so then you can get it to grow over itself all dense-like. This is also a way to fill it out evenly, instead of having it get high (where you initially planted it) and low (where it runs). If you want it really dense, you can cut the rooted stems (don't uproot them), and it will branch and grow over itself. You can still buy time before you have to uproot all of it before it chokes itself out by careful trimming, while having a nice full foreground.

I learned this trick from Travis with glosso, by the way. Just want to give credit to where it's due: I would have never thought of it, but have since done it with everything I use as a mid or foreground, instead of just bushy stem plants, and it works great :)

Cool, thanks for the info.. I should probably give credit to wheres it's due as well.. Of course, to you, as you have helped me with just about everything.. Thanks a bunch! I appreciate it. Your the man =)

Oh yea, and all the people at the IRC chat.

Nice lookin tank Resiak.
I like the aquascaping.
Cant wait to see it fill itself in.
Did you move or remove the other rock?

Thanx,

Did you move or remove the other rock?

Yea, I moved it some what next to the bigger rock. I also thinned out the xmas moss and tied it with thread. In the first pic I tied it on temporarily as I didn't have have any thread.

Newbies 38g log (UPDATE: 5-9-06)

I finally got the chance to go by my parents house to do a 50% PWC and to change the co2 bottles that really needed changing. My tank is temporarily at my parents house as I am having issues with the apartment complex I live in.

Attachments

• fulltank4_136.jpg
    fulltank4_136.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 35
  • algae_953.jpg
    algae_953.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 214
lol Note,

What is this purpley stuff growin on my rock?

Attachments

• elatine_triandra_538.jpg
    elatine_triandra_538.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 21
  • rock_134.jpg
    rock_134.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 232
I dread the Green Algae Bloom, but want it at least once. hehe :)
Is the pupley stuff mosslike or slimey. How long has it been there?
Elatine Triandra are spreading nicely

Yea, I hate this gsp.. I'm not actually sure what the purpley stuff feels like as I was in a rush and didn't bother to feel it.

I have been having my dad dose my tank while the tank is at his house. When I noticed the GSA start to take over I was advised "by Joe" to change my po4 to 2ppm instead of 1.5ppm.. However, when I told my dad to make the switch he accidently wrote the change on the csm+b bottle and has been dosing 1 and a half tbls of cmb+b instead of the 1 1/2 tsp po4. lol Starting today he has it right. So hopefully this change and the new co2 bottles will fix my algae problems..

Newbie 38g planted (update 5-14-06)

I added amazon sword, sunset hydro, hairgrass, purple cabomba and 2 corkscrew vals. I am still having algae problems. I'm not going to bother posting a pic of the algae lol.

I took a pic after I did a 60% PWC and scrubbed the glass. I also did a quick prunning.

Attachments

• sideangle_127.jpg
    sideangle_127.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 28
Update 5-20-06

I went to my first NEAPS meeting today and got a few plants. I got some Nymphea Maculata - (red tiger lotus), green lotus that I'm not sure exactly what it is and another Amazon Sword.

My algae situation is getting better; however, I still have a little bba and a tad bit of hair algae. I have also added a few other new plants to my tank. Here is my updated plant list,

1. vallisneria americana (sp) (Jungle vals)
2. Rotala rotundifolia
3. Wisteria - Hygrophia difformis
4. Bacopa monnieri - MoneyWort
5. Long stem water wort - Elatine Triandra
6. Dwarf Hairgrass - Eleocharis Acicularis
7. Java Moss - Vesicularia dubyana
8. Pearl Weed (Hemianthus micranthemoides)
9. Asian Ambulia
10. Amazon sword
11. Sunset hydro
12. Stargrass
13. Purple Cabomba
14. Corckscrew Vals
15. xmas moss - Vesicularia montagnei
16. anacharis
17. Nymphea Maculata - (red tiger lotus)
18. Unkown lotus

I tried adding the pics to the post using the IMG tags; however, it wouldn't work. So, I had to post these smaller pics on the site. If you want to see bigger pics go to,

Full Tank,
http://home.comcast.net/~shojimujo/Fulltank-5-20-06_copy.jpg

SAE and Cory Cat,
http://home.comcast.net/~shojimujo/SAEcorycat1.jpg

Lotus,
http://home.comcast.net/~shojimujo/lotus.jpg

Attachments

• lotussmall_174.jpg
    lotussmall_174.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 21
  • sae_corycat_copy1_116.jpeg
    sae_corycat_copy1_116.jpeg