Restarting a 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, all of my previous fish in this tank died in a max of 2 months, so I am now restarting the tank. I plan on replacing the gravel with sand, and possibly get a live plant. Please help.... This is my first time having a tank at all.

Forgot to mention.... I want this tank to be built for South American fish. Where do I start?

First, properly cycle your tank. Since you have an empty tank you have the ability to do a fish-less cycle. I would read up on it. Second, many SA fish have a larger tank requirement than 10 gallons but there still are plenty to choose from. What are the fish you would like to have?

As far as plants go unless you have upgraded lights and plan to use fertilizers I would look into java fern and anubias, they will stay small enough to be kept in a 10g and are some of the least demanding plants.

+ 1 on proper cycling.

But just because you have an empty tank doesn't mean you have to go down the fishless route.

I always use "fish in" cycling and it works out great for me.

As for plants...

Java fern and Anubias can get quite large!

They are by no means a small plant if you don't prune and maintain them.

My Anubias put out at least 3 new leaves a week lol.

Maybe a large Java Fern in on back corner and a few mini Anubias in the front will be best for the size of tank you have.

I would get a plant friendly substrate instead of sand. I have some that's black and its only slightly larger than sand.

I would get a plant friendly substrate instead of sand. I have some that's black and its only slightly larger than sand.

My caribsea Tahitian moon sand is just regular sand and my tank is doing great. Sand is perfectly plant friendly

Attachments

• image-2347558644.jpg
    image-2347558644.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 55
You should read into what a cycled tank and beneficial bacteria are, it will help relieve a lot of stress on you and the fish haha. There is very few SA fish that can be kept in a 10g. Just some tetras. Java fern and anibus as good choices for plants. Neither need to be in the substrate, they can be attached to wood or rocks.

First, properly cycle your tank. Since you have an empty tank you have the ability to do a fish-less cycle. I would read up on it. Second, many SA fish have a larger tank requirement than 10 gallons but there still are plenty to choose from. What are the fish you would like to have?

As far as plants go unless you have upgraded lights and plan to use fertilizers I would look into java fern and anubias, they will stay small enough to be kept in a 10g and are some of the least demanding plants.

Maybe a ram (not German) some jellybean tetras, Possibly a krib. As to plants, I know nothing about them, I will us sand. Do plants lower ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

Rams, and Kribs, are to big for a 10 gallon tank. 20 gallons minimum on a single ram, and 30 for a Kribs. Also, Kribs can be very aggressive. I would stick with micro fish. 6 Galaxy Rasboras, 6 Pygmy cory cats, and some shrimp would be cool. Plants will absorb nitrate and ammonium.

imo - I would drain all the water out, rinse thoroughly - but NO soap!

I totally agree with everyone above, you need to read up on cycling the tank BEFORE adding any fish. Then you can decide if you want to do a "fish in" cycling or "no fish" cycling.

I also agree with the above posters....you need to pick small fish that can live in a 10 gallon tank.

Should the tank house livebearers or others? I kind of want livebearers. Probably gonna put sand in, and I just drained out the water. May put in some micro sword or java moss, will that be good with sand?

Back
Top Bottom