Restarting my old tank for my betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Betta Dracula isn't doing so well in the community tank and I'm pretty sure it's him that has been taking bites out of my other fishies tails. It could be the sailfin Molly though its most likely Drac. I used a layer of aquasoil topped with fine natural gravel.
It's low light as some of you might remember from when I had it setup before I upgraded. I put a small bubble wall in the middle along the back of the tank. I won't be able to put the filter in yet I'm currently using it in my upgraded tank while the new filter gets seeded and I can take it out.
This is what I have so far.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662.html

Any suggestions on what I should do with this tank to make Drac as happy as possible.
Do bettas like any plants more than others that would be suitable for this tank?

Oh I forgot to mention I decided to set it up in my 3 yr old sons playroom this time. He's happy about that :)

Going to head to the lfs in about an hour and get some low light plants. Any suggestions on preferred plants for bettas?

A combination of planted and floating plants would serve your betta well. Don't go heavy on the floating plants, though, as bettas need access to the surface.

David

A combination of planted and floating plants would serve your betta well. Don't go heavy on the floating plants, though, as bettas need access to the surface.

David

I also have some frog bit floating in the tank so hopefully he will like it when it's all done

I'm also considering some bottom dwellers to add to the tank. It's 17.5g so a school of cories might be nice. I have 4 panda cory in my 41g community so something different would be nice. I do like the albino corys but I'm not sure a 17.5g would be sufficient room enough for a shoal of them and the Betta. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions ?

Do you think I could get 6 Pygmy cory ? Would a Betta do fine with them? Or is there something more suitable ?

I got 4 pygmys it was a toss up between them and the julis but I figured for a 17.5g the pygmys would be better.

I've kept many pygmy cories and tons of bettas over the years, but I don't think I've ever kept them together, at least not for any extended period of time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will work. Some may read this and say, "no way...a pygmy cory is small enough to fit in a bettas mouth." Yes, that's true; but cories have two things going for them that can help deter being munched on: armored scutes and erected spines when threatened. Those two defense mechanisms make for a nasty bite.

I'd be interested in hearing opposing views on this...

David

I've kept many pygmy cories and tons of bettas over the years, but I don't think I've ever kept them together, at least not for any extended period of time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it will work. Some may read this and say, "no way...a pygmy cory is small enough to fit in a bettas mouth." Yes, that's true; but cories have two things going for them that can help deter being munched on: armored scutes and erected spines when threatened. Those two defense mechanisms make for a nasty bite.

I'd be interested in hearing opposing views on this...

David

I'm hoping they will be ok they only had 3 left so ill get 3 for when they have more? They are so tiny! I'm thinking I should have gone with julis so their easier for my son to see. Will they be more active and out going with more of them it are they shy no matter how many you have ?

Will they be more active and out going with more of them it are they shy no matter how many you have ?
Pygmy cories aren't all that shy. They usually swim all over the tank and are not just bottom dwellers, although that's where they'll spend most of their time. They are often seen resting on the leaves of plants, too. The more, the better. In the wild they are seen in shoals of 100s.

David

Pygmy cories aren't all that shy. They usually swim all over the tank and are not just bottom dwellers, although that's where they'll spend most of their time. They are often seen resting on the leaves of plants, too. The more, the better. In the wild they are seen in shoals of 100s.

David

Ok cool how many would be best for a 17.5g?
Their so expensive here though It cost me $45 just for 3. I've never had them before so it should be interesting and something new.

I've never seen Pygmy Corys, so I'll just guess a number for that tank and say 6-10 of them. More might be ideal for that size tank, but I'm far from a stocking expert. I got 3 albinos in my 10 gallon and they seem happy, but I might get one or two more here in a couple weeks. If someone else has a better number of pygmys for you, great!

I have 3 albinos in my 16gallon with my betta (had to take them out of my elephant nose tank) they do great with him no problems. :)

Ok cool how many would be best for a 17.5g?
Their so expensive here though It cost me $45 just for 3. I've never had them before so it should be interesting and something new.
They're $3 each in my neck of the woods. You can safely put 9 of them in your tank.

David

Back
Top Bottom