Restocking a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, I'm back!

I'm wondering what fish to restock my 10g as I'm moving my neons to a different tank. I frequently forget water changes so I don't want anything that if I forget one its deadzo.

What types of fish do you like? You could do a group of fish like guppies or endlers, or you could do a single fish like a betta. Also, what is the tank setup (substrate, decorations, plants, etc.)

I was going to suggest something unique but if you are going to sleeze on the water changes then I'd stick to guppies or a Betta than can handle it a bit better.

Caleb

I was going to suggest something unique but if you are going to sleeze on the water changes then I'd stick to guppies or a Betta than can handle it a bit better.

Caleb

What unique fish are you thinking of?

As of currently, I removed all the plants that weren't doing so well and I only have a nice piece of driftwood in the tank, if that helps with the suggestions!

What unique fish are you thinking of?

As of currently, I removed all the plants that weren't doing so well and I only have a nice piece of driftwood in the tank, if that helps with the suggestions!

I was going to suggest something like a dwarf puffer but you can't sleeze on water changes as they are more sensitive

Caleb

I was going to suggest something like a dwarf puffer but you can't sleeze on water changes as they are more sensitive

Caleb

I was already considering it but then they're kinda small and not very impressive when apparently I can only have 2 because they're territorial. Although my info could be outdated?

I was already considering it but then they're kinda small and not very impressive when apparently I can only have 2 because they're territorial. Although my info could be outdated?

They may be small, but full of personality!

Caleb

They may be small, but full of personality!

Caleb

That sounds cool. Anything specific about their personality? How many could I keep?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That sounds cool. Anything specific about their personality? How many could I keep?

Mine can eat a bloodworm twice the length of him lol. They can get bored of their tank actually, so change things up every so often and you will see them explore :)

Depending on how much cover there is. If very heavily planted you could probably do 3-4 in a 10g. Otherwise i would stick to 2.

Caleb

Hmm seems cool, but I would strictly need to change water 1 a week 25%, right?

Hmm seems cool, but I would strictly need to change water 1 a week 25%, right?

Even a 50% is 5 gallons. Takes 20 mins at the most to vacuum then refill by bucket. Even faster with something like a python. Surely you can accomplish 5 gallons pretty easily

Caleb

Even a 50% is 5 gallons. Takes 20 mins at the most to vacuum then refill by bucket. Even faster with something like a python. Surely you can accomplish 5 gallons pretty easily

Caleb

What do you feed yours? I have NLS for small fish. Do they eat that?

What do you feed yours? I have NLS for small fish. Do they eat that?

Puffers have special diets, as most "unique" fish do. Pond snails are best and you can train them onto frozen foods like bloodworms.

Caleb

That's the only food they need?

That's the only food they need?

From my experience with mine, they won't eat snails unless they are tiny and fit in their mouth. Maybe mine just don't care for snails. Mine mostly eat bloodworms, mysis shrimp, krill, and freeze dried krill. They will also eat live ghost shrimp when I add them to the tank every now and then. Mine are Figure 8, not dwarf, but I think the diet is the same.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So basically they don't want pellet/flake food?

So basically they don't want pellet/flake food?

To be honest, I have never tried. I can't imagine mine eating flake food. They might try to munch on a high quality pellet. I just haven't done it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Most "exotic" fish no, they will not accept standard food like that unless you are very lucky.

Caleb

So just the normal 2 times a day feed them bloodworms and pond snails?

Back
Top Bottom