Restocking after ich devistation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
If there is one thing to be said about this hobby it's that it keeps you on your toes.

To save those of you who helped me through my ich epidemic I won't post the whole story and just say that through a series of unfortunate events has led to the total deviation of one of my 55gal tanks save for one lonely danio. Going on almost a week with no signs of ich. Before I add anymore inhabitants I'll wait at least another week. I have two questions.

1) is there anyway to keep up my amount of BB while waiting to restock?

2) should I qt the first new batch of fish or just put them in? My qt tank is not set up yet.

Thanks

id say leave any new fish for at least 2 more weeks while u keep up any treatments uv been making to the 55.
the BB can be kept up by keeping the filter on and possibly adding a very hardy fish, maybe a guppy or two. this will also help to see if all the ich has gone.
i think that u should QT the new fish, but only because of the danger of ich in the 55. u dont have to QT imo if u just ensure all the ich is gone with a guppy or something.
what were/are you using for the ich treatment? i used an anti-ich chemical and it was gone within four days, so somethings not right there :S
ta x

I was only using the raised temp and salt treatment. I added one new fish without qt and then immediately had a filter issue which caused stress to the tank pop. Plus I am positive the new fish is who brought on the ich. Put the two together and blam. Water parameters are still good at the moment. I just don't want to lose all my good BB before feeling comfortable adding new inhabitants.

I was only using the raises temp and salt treatment. I had added a new fish w/o QT and then immediately had a filter problem causing stress to the pop. Put the two together and blam. I just don't want my BB to die off before I am comfortable putting in new inhabitants.

I know that ich doesn't effect the BB. It is a paramecium which is larger than the BB itself (although it contains at least two different extraneous strand of bacterial DNA within it!). The salt and raised temp treatment won't harm the BB either, but what I am worried about is the reduction of waste (aka the food for the nitrogen cycle) from the drastically reduced number of fishy inhabitants. Less waste= less food ----> partial population die off of BB. Basically cycling the tank in revers.

yeah thats what i think the guppy or two would be good for, quite hardy and a good indicator of the ich presence, while keeping up BB. what do u plan on doing? x

My suggestion has always been to wait a good two week minimum prior to adding more stock. And you're going to have to do it slowly as your bb will not have had the same bioload to consume.

I highly recommend QT.

Well, I'm still formulating a plan (insert evil laugh here). And although I like the idea of a guppy or two.... I plan on replacing my tiger barb school so I don't think they'll get along well. I had a nice plan for a semi-agressive/fast moving tank before and I think that is what I am going to do again. I just need to redo the build up again. I am guessing this if the last danio hangs in there (they seem to be highly overbreed and not as hardy as my originals):

1) Wait another week and then lower the temp a bit with several large PWC's.
2) Add a few giant danios (maybe, maybe just the same kind.... not sure yet.)
3) wait a week and set up my qt tank.
4) buy second round of danios to top off the school.
5) wait a week
6) buy tiger barbs and qt....
7) repeat with second round of tigers to finish school
8) buy blue gouramis and qt. or BN pleco and QT.
9) buy whatever i didn't buy above and qt haha!

I am still working on the plan, but I absolutely LOVED the danio tiger barb mix. The danios are too fast for the barbs to pick on although i think it was a love hate relationship. The danios would swim up to the school of tigers. dart through and than a short chase would ensue. Then everyone would ignore each other for a few hours. It was a tank with good personality and great movement.

Back
Top Bottom