Revamping my 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recently changed from gravel to pool filter sand, and now I want to plant it. I have two 15 watt cfl spirals on there right now, with a hood and reflectors (incandescent reflectors). I will be making a DIY co2 reactor soon, and have a bunch of questions about my lighting and co2.
First, I realize that the reflectors aren't made for cfl spirals, so I would like to put them to the best use possible. What is the best incandescent bulb to put on there? My hood is for bulbs up to 60 watts cfl and 15 watts incandescent. (Or maybe its the other way around...)

I realize this is medium lighting. So what are some plants I could put in there? I would like to heavily plant. I like hemianthis and glossostigma.

What is the best way to aquascape (process, of thinking, drawing, trying, editing, etc)?

When I make my co2 reactor out of a pop bottle , sugar, yeast, water and an airtube, I will need to add a certain amount of water, sugar and yeast. How much?
Also, what is the best way to diffuse co2?

Should I turn my co2 off at night?
How often do I need to replace the mixture of sugar, water and yeast?

How can I measure how much co2 is being put in if I don't have a drop checker or bubble counter? (Or both)

Thank You!

I would recommend asking in the Planted Tanks forum. That might get you better results. I'm sorry that I don't have specific plant suggestions; I'm still in the process of setting up my first planted tank, and I'm sticking with low light plants to avoid CO2. :(

Im newish to co2 but I have My DIY Co2, You Cant Really Shut it off at night cause its in a Plastic Bottle. Youll be making a Bomb if it Doent Release Pressure.

Hey Maxwell, those are some very broad questions. In short, you'll probably be able to grow pretty much anything you want in that setup. I'd cut off the co2 at night since it's such a small tank, controlling the co2 level (DIY) can be difficult.

You got the incandescent/cfl thing backwards, but yeah, go with CFLs, they are not nearly as hot, save power, and come in daylight spectrum.

JesseMessykinn said:
Im newish to co2 but I have My DIY Co2, You Cant Really Shut it off at night cause its in a Plastic Bottle. Youll be making a Bomb if it Doent Release Pressure.

jetajockey said:
Hey Maxwell, those are some very broad questions. In short, you'll probably be able to grow pretty much anything you want in that setup. I'd cut off the co2 at night since it's such a small tank, controlling the co2 level (DIY) can be difficult.

You got the incandescent/cfl thing backwards, but yeah, go with CFLs, they are not nearly as hot, save power, and come in daylight spectrum.

Thanks for the replies. How can I save power if I am making a bomb"? I was planning on using one of those plastic shut off valves, but wouldn't that make the bottle explode?

maxwellag said:
Thanks for the replies. How can I save power if I am making a bomb"? I was planning on using one of those plastic shut off valves, but wouldn't that make the bottle explode?

It will make it explode because the plastic bottle cannot support the amount of pressure that will build up in the bottle like a tank.

pleechford said:
It will make it explode because the plastic bottle cannot support the amount of pressure that will build up in the bottle like a tank.

How can I shut it off then? Should I just take the air tube out of the water and let the co2 go into the air? Or would it be better to use a big bottle (like a 2 liter) and fill it part way, then use a shut off valve?

maxwellag said:
How can I shut it off then? Should I just take the air tube out of the water and let the co2 go into the air? Or would it be better to use a big bottle (like a 2 liter) and fill it part way, then use a shut off valve?

Well the only way really that I know of is to take the tube out and let the co2 just leak. It's a waste but that's about all you can do for DIY. If you had a 2 liter it would do the exact same thing just more room for more gas to pressurize in the bottle hence a bigger bang :p

Back
Top Bottom