Reverse Osmosis (RO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itafx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I use a "for human consumption" water purifier that distills the water. Then I top off my tanks with that so they don't get concentrated hardness or change in Ph. When one can do this, why would one ever need one of those expensive reverse osmosis devices that the fish stores sell?

Can you give us more details on your water purifier? No offence - but I doubt that it actually "distills" the water. Typically, the "for human consumption" water purifiers only remove chlorine, heavy metals etc. Essentially, they are just carbon/chemical filters - meaning that they do not remove calcium, magnesium, carbonates and many other things.

The water purifier uses heat to evaporate the water and then the water vapor condenses into the output receptacle. Only pure water evaporates, so it leaves the impurities on the input side which form a paste in the bottom of the container which has to be removed. I believe it's creating very pure distilled water due to the design. Using this method, my water doesn't get harder and harder by adding dissolved solids when I do PWCs, or especially when I top off the tank, which happens a lot in the winter due to the lower indoor humidities.

RO water is not "distilled". RO water is water that has been forced through a semi-permeable membrane by increasing the pressure on the side through which the water enters the membrane. It is called RO, or reverse osmosis, because the water that flows across the membrane has impurities in it which would normally cause water to move TO the side with more impurities (ions/molecules). Pressure is exerted on the side with impurities which forces water in the "reverse" of the flow that water would normally tend towards.

Distillation is basically the process that the OP suggested. The liquid is boiled and then collected. This does not mean however that the liquid is "pure". MANY distillations are often required to obtain a liquid that is nearly pure. Who knows what other things could have evaporated along with the water. For the most part the liquid will be nearly pure water when starting with tap water.

Being new on the forum I'm having trouble with some of the acronyms. I've looked on the definitions page, but some of them aren't there. Like what is the OP? What is a DP tank and some of the other abbreviations for types of tanks?

On a lot of forums that I have been on the "OP" means the "Original Poster"... basically the person starting the topic/thread. I am assuming that a "DP" tank means a "Dwarf Puffer" tank but I could be wrong.

Not really sure how many abbreviations are used on here for specific types of tanks other than FW, SW, SA and of course the DP that you mentioned. FW being freshwater, SW means saltwater, ans SA is used to refer to a South American tank. It seems like I have come across others on here but those are the only ones that come to mind...I am sure there are others as well. I only participate in the FW forums because I have no clue about SW tanks. I know they love abbreviations though lol. (Especially when it comes to corals and live rock.)

Thanks. Is it courtesy to thank folks on the forum for good advice, or is it considered that all the extra posts would just waste everyone's time wading through them?

My bad! When you said a "for human consumption" purifier, I was assuming a little filter that screws onto your faucet.

Yes, your "distiller" works just as good if not better than an RO system. But I would worry about the electric bill when distilling water - or does it get heat from another source?

This forum is pretty easy going and there are many posts that thank someone for advice/help/or a suggestion. I think it helps to add to the conversation. Basically, nobody here is going to rip your head off like on other forums. Good people here, very friendly and knowledgeable as well.

bs6749 said:
This forum is pretty easy going and there are many posts that thank someone for advice/help/or a suggestion. I think it helps to add to the conversation. Basically, nobody here is going to rip your head off like on other forums. Good people here, very friendly and knowledgeable as well.

Thanks!

I tried using water from a dehumidifier and the fish in that tank all died. It wasn't a scientific experiment and I can't be sure that was really the cause. I also would be very interested to hear some credible evidence on your question.

I wouldn't recommend it simply because you don't know what kind of microorganisms are growing in that water. Not to mention that there could be things in the air that are collected as well (perfumes/aerosols/etc.) that would be introduced into the tank.

The RO units are typically used more for SW. If you use RO for fresh for some reason (say, Discus), then you'll need to add minerals back in.

Back
Top Bottom