Reviews on "Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel" Filter ? (:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieAliceF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So far I'm looking at getting one of these filters for my 29 gallon tank. I was wondering if anyone on here had one and could give me a good review of it?

How quiet are they? And how long has yours lasted?

I'm reading mixed reviews on these filters but mostly good... thanks to anyone who posts!!

Attachments

• image-3349405249.jpg
    image-3349405249.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 86
I ran a slightly smaller model (150) for about a year and after a while the impeller developed a grinding-scratching noise. I liked the biowheel concept but hated the cartridges. Also owned an Emperor 280 but switched to AquaClear HOBs because they are quieter and the media options give you some flexibility.

I own 2 of the 350's for my 55 gallon. They can get loud when the water gets low but otherwise they're relatively quiet. As for cartridges I usually replace them every 2-3 water exchanges I spray them with a hose I have and they look brand new! So that's a solution if you wanted to avoid buying cartridges all the time!

I own 2 of the 350's for my 55 gallon. They can get loud when the water gets low but otherwise they're relatively quiet. As for cartridges I usually replace them every 2-3 water exchanges I spray them with a hose I have and they look brand new! So that's a solution if you wanted to avoid buying cartridges all the time!

How long have you had them? I'm guessing they work good for you? :)
& Do you spray them with tank water or something haha I read something like this but they said to only rinse them in tank water for some reason

I ran a slightly smaller model (150) for about a year and after a while the impeller developed a grinding-scratching noise. I liked the biowheel concept but hated the cartridges. Also owned an Emperor 280 but switched to AquaClear HOBs because they are quieter and the media options give you some flexibility.

I heard AquaClear was pretty good too, but they cost a lot more than the BioWheel at my LFS. I might get one of them anyways, better for the long run probably..

Look the Aquaclears up on Amazon, they're significantly cheaper there and should qualify for free shipping.

Look the Aquaclears up on Amazon, they're significantly cheaper there and should qualify for free shipping.

Well actually I'm Canadian and our Amazon doesn't have ones that are in Canada so it can get really expensive with the shipping. One store online from the US wanted 40$ shipping haha

Definitely get the Aqua Clear over the Marineland. If you can get a Fluval C series at a good price, this IMO is the best HOB filter I've used so far.

Got two 350's on the back of my 55g. They have performed flawlessly and do a great job on keeping the tank clean. Love the two tier intakes on the filter lift tubes.

So far I'm looking at getting one of these filters for my 29 gallon tank. I was wondering if anyone on here had one and could give me a good review of it?

How quiet are they? And how long has yours lasted?

I'm reading mixed reviews on these filters but mostly good... thanks to anyone who posts!!

I had one for my 29, it worked pretty good. It ran quietly and had low maintenance. The cartridge got clogged about once a week, but just a rinse and it will clean up, they last long as well.
Over all I liked the filter, I moved up to the marine land hot magnum, as I got a great deal on it.

Edit- there customer service is very good as we'll, if something does go wrong you can call and get the part replaced for free. They also have a extra cartridge compartment so you can hold 2 cartridges, extending the life of both.

I run two of the larger models of this filter and I've never had a problem with either one.

How long have you had them? I'm guessing they work good for you? :)
& Do you spray them with tank water or something haha I read something like this but they said to only rinse them in tank water for some reason

2 years and I just use the hose water not tank water.

Back
Top Bottom