Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ridiculously high ammonia

I decided to test the water in my 55 gallon because I was having fish die randomly over the past 3 days and the ammonia is off the charts. The tank has been cycled for long while and I have no idea why it's so high. The only new thing I have added to the tank with the exception of plants were osmocote root tabs. Could that be the reason why it's sky rocketed? My test kit is also pretty old if that could also be a reason. Other than water changes is there anything I can do to help I've already lost my favorite angel and I would hate to lose the other four

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3773174221.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	192321

Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello J...

Get a new testing kit. If the nitrogen level is still off the charts, then a series of small water changes will help. I'd change out 15 percent of the tank water every day for a week, if you can. This should help. Also, I don't think a tank is complete without "the best floating plant" in the history of the water keeping hobby, Anacharis. It will help level the water chemistry.

B

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd do an immediate 75% WC. What are you using as a conditioner?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm in the process of doing another 50% water change which makes this number 3. I use prime as a conditioner
Old 08-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

In answer to your question yes, Osmocote DIY root tabs can add ammonia if the right one isn't used. Also check your ph because if it's under 6 your biological filtration stops and begins to die off causing ammonia. My bet is the root tabs. How many did you use?

You need to continue doing WC after WC and if possible can you use a gravel vac to suction out the root tabs? Just a thought. You need to get the ammonia down to .25ppm or you will most like continue to lose fish. Also use Prime or Amquel (I think that is the name) to convert the ammonia into a less toxic form. Follow the directions on the bottle as to how much you need to use and how often.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you sure you did the test correct? I didnt know it could turn that color on ammo. 5mL of water, 8 drops bottle 1 and 8 drops bottle 2. Invert a few times and let it sit 5mins before deciding?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com