Right I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zinnib123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok this is very hard for me to say but I have such terrible plant growth I have a 92 litre clear seal aquarium with sand as the bottom substrate 18 watt fluorescent bulb I need help my tank is fully cycled I have 9 neons and 2 mating pair of kribensis my plants seem to just die or go all horrible I have tried root tabs is it my lighting I have some algae growth which must mean the light must grow something help guys please I want a way without starting my tank again ?

From the plants I see in the picture you do not have enough light intensity. One 18 W florescent is extremely lowlight for 92 L. The leaves falling off the lower parts of the stems indicate too low light.
If it is a stock light/hood that came with the tank is useful for viewing fish only. If you want any plants other than Anubias and Java fern you will need to upgrade. Hope this helps, OS.

Even though the watts per gallon rule is disputed and probably becoming outdated it's still about all we have to go by or now. For medium light which would be adequate for most plants, you need between two and 2 1/2 W per gallon. So a dual bulb T5HO for your size tank would be 48 watts. Also important is that you install the correct frequency, some call temperature, florescent tubes. Choose bulbs between 5000 K. and 10,000 K. for being useful to plants. Most people enjoy the growth and color given by one Flora Gro bulb(around 5000K) and one Full Sun bulb(around 6700K) used together. Zoo Med makes a moderately priced dual T5HO fixture. I have seen them at Petco. You could also check Amazon.com. Hope this helps, good luck. OS.

I totally agree with OS.
Also, plants need a carbon source to thrive. A liquid feed such as Excel or Glut would help. Co2 injection would be even better but is a tad expensive and needs handling carefully - your fish won't tolerate high Co2 levels.
I have also had more success with broad leaf plants rather than feathery leafed plants, but that might just be my tank.
Good luck. Steve.

Amen to the feathery leafed plants being touchier except Ambulia that stuff is a pest it grows so fast. But it is pretty. He could grow some awesome swords with the dual light and some root tabs. OS.

Before you go spending money on a new light lets figure a few things out first. Those are vals and cambomba ya? Do you do weekly water changes? How long do you leave your light on for? Do you notice the kribs bothering them?

Back
Top Bottom