Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rimless Tank

What is the maximum capacity for a rimless tank?, do you know a good place to buy large rimless tanks?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would think the maximum fill level would depend a bit on filtration. If the filter is strong and creates a lot of surface agitation, you would need to leave a bit more space than if it's quiet on the surface.

I did once fill a tank WITH a rim 'till it was over the edge on the inside of the rim. But it wicked up between the acrylic gadget I use to hold the lights up and the glass. So it dripped outside. Now I fill to just below that edge on the inside.

I'd think an inch of space is plenty, half an inch might be fine too, provided the tank is level and nothing you put on the rim can wick water up. If it can you'll find out quickly, the dripping can make quite a mess in a short time .

Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Most you can fill to around an inch from the top. We have a Nuvo 24g rimless that has a built in back of the tank sump type filter with an overflow so in that instance you fill to the level it takes to run the sump filter correctly which in our case is slightly less than an inch from the top.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I fill mine to about 1/2" below the edge. If you're talking about overall size it depends on how strong and thick the material is. It can not bow at all. So the bigger you go the thicker the glass or acrylic needs to be.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com