Rimless Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the maximum capacity for a rimless tank?, do you know a good place to buy large rimless tanks?

I would think the maximum fill level would depend a bit on filtration. If the filter is strong and creates a lot of surface agitation, you would need to leave a bit more space than if it's quiet on the surface.

I did once fill a tank WITH a rim 'till it was over the edge on the inside of the rim. But it wicked up between the acrylic gadget I use to hold the lights up and the glass. So it dripped outside. Now I fill to just below that edge on the inside.

I'd think an inch of space is plenty, half an inch might be fine too, provided the tank is level and nothing you put on the rim can wick water up. If it can you'll find out quickly, the dripping can make quite a mess in a short time :).

Most you can fill to around an inch from the top. We have a Nuvo 24g rimless that has a built in back of the tank sump type filter with an overflow so in that instance you fill to the level it takes to run the sump filter correctly which in our case is slightly less than an inch from the top.

I fill mine to about 1/2" below the edge. If you're talking about overall size it depends on how strong and thick the material is. It can not bow at all. So the bigger you go the thicker the glass or acrylic needs to be.

Back
Top Bottom