Rinsing filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a HOB filter and I've realized even after water changes there's a lot of floating particles. I think it's coming from the filter. Ive never rinsed the filter media. I thought it would kill some BB. So should I rinse it?

If its a reusable sponge just rinse it in old tank water after a water change. Some things you can rinse some things need to be replaced.

I can't really tell from the picture. If that's the one that you buy that goes in that filter then you need to replace. If the plastic comes apart so you can put a pad in then I would do that so you can rinse it.

Wait a min I have that filter lol

I don't buy the cartridges that go with filters cause I think they are rip offs and not that good. With that filter I would wait till its dirty then throw it out. I packed floss and or filter pads down in it. It's the cut your own type its a lot cheaper then the cartridge.

Last edited:
I think I have the same filter as you, at least brand wise. Aqueon right? If those floating particles are indeed coming from the filter then that indicates a hole in the polyester filter floss stuff. I would look for that hole and if you find it then probably better just to replace it. If not rinse it

Andrew McFadden said:
I can't really tell from the picture. If that's the one that you buy that goes in that filter then you need to replace. If the plastic comes apart so you can put a pad in then I would do that so you can rinse it.

Ya I need to replace it. I pulled it up and about puked. It's brown and full of gunk! Also by replacing do I lose a lot of BB?

Sillyfishies said:
Ya I need to replace it. I pulled it up and about puked. It's brown and full of gunk!

Sorry added to my post and noticed you wouldn't see it now

Andrew McFadden said:

Wait a min I have that filter lol

I don't buy the cartridges that go with filters cause I think they are rip offs and not that good. With that filter I would wait till its dirty then throw it out. I packed floss and or filter pads down in it. It's the cut your own type its a lot cheaper then the cartridge and lasts longer.

heyheyitsrae said:
I think I have the same filter as you, at least brand wise. Aqueon right? If those floating particles are indeed coming from the filter then that indicates a hole in the polyester filter floss stuff. I would look for that hole and if you find it then probably better just to replace it. If not rinse it

I dont see one...

Attachments

• image-2570897693.jpg
    image-2570897693.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
I dont see one...

That's my point they are made so thin it doesnt normally make it threw getting rinsed.

Any lfs should have cut your own filter pads or floss just ask them. Or you can get a fine sponge that you can stick in there that will never need replaced just rinsed they should have those too made for canister filters.

Andrew McFadden said:
That's my point they are made so thin it doesnt normally make it threw getting rinsed.

Any lfs should have cut your own filter pads or floss just ask them. Or you can get a fine sponge that you can stick in there that will never need replaced just rinsed they should have those too made for canister filters.

Wow you have helped me a lot yesterday and today. Thanks! I think I'll grab a sponge!

The answer is yes you will loose some BB when you replace filter media. Basically any time you remove anything from the tank you loose some BB. With filters if you have multiple medias just replace half each time and you will resupply quickly. If you have a fully cycled stable tank with gravel and other large surface areas for BB to grow on. You will likely have no issues at all.

I also forgot if you want or like using carbon. You can get panty hose for cheap or free by asking the woman in your family if they have any they don't use anymore. Then buy a big container of carbon and put a little bit in the panty hose tie it off cut the left overs off and tie one end on that to fill up again for the next time. Or you can buy a small reusable media bag for cheap at an lfs.

I also forgot if you want or like using carbon. You can get panty hose for cheap or free by asking the woman in your family if they have any they don't use anymore. Then buy a big container of carbon and put a little bit in the panty hose tie it off cut the left overs off and tie one end on that to fill up again for the next time. Or you can buy a small reusable media bag for cheap at an lfs.

Last question... What "active" filter would you recommend?

Sillyfishies said:
Last question... What "active" filter would you recommend?

What do you mean active? They all do basically the same thing. I guess I don't understand the question.
The filters I run are these
I have a home made sump filter
2 rena canister filters
1 that's the same that you have
Then I have a few that I don't use

Andrew McFadden said:
What do you mean active? They all do basically the same thing. I guess I don't understand the question.
The filters I run are these
I have a home made sump filter
2 rena canister filters
1 that's the same that you have
Then I have a few that I don't use

The filter media that is loaded up with BB. I know you can get some from something with Angelfish in the name.

Back
Top Bottom