Rinsing Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Finally got my sand! (Medium grain black diamond blasting sand)
I have a pillow case to wash it with and 3 five gallon buckets. I know this stuff takes a very long time to wash out - I will be doing it over the next few days to get the job done. What is the best way to do it?
I've heard it should be put in a pillow case and rinsed through that way.
I've also heard to rinse it in 5 gallon buckets. How should I go about doing that properly?
Any other ideas to wash it thoroughly and safely?

Thanks! (y)

Finally got my sand! (Medium grain black diamond blasting sand)
I have a pillow case to wash it with and 3 five gallon buckets. I know this stuff takes a very long time to wash out - I will be doing it over the next few days to get the job done. What is the best way to do it?
I've heard it should be put in a pillow case and rinsed through that way.
I've also heard to rinse it in 5 gallon buckets. How should I go about doing that properly?
Any other ideas to wash it thoroughly and safely?

Thanks! (y)

Hey! You need to clear out your inbox! I can't send you anymore messages! And I just switched my tank to sand a couple days ago! I used buckets and a hose to wash my sand. I did it about 10 times. The water will be cloudy for a day or two, then it should all be clear! My cories love the sand so much more then gravel!

That's exactly where I got it :)

Have you rinsed it already? I had around 200 pounds of it for my tank. But when I went to clean it, a bunch of oil particles were always floating at the top. I cleaned it for 5 days & I still had it. -.-
There are 3 different types of black diamond blasting sand, I'm not sure which I had. Just a heads up though. The top of the water had a rainbow look to it, & the top of the trash can I was using to rinse the sand out was kind of stained black from it. Just thought I'd let you know. I ended up just getting play sand from lowes, it was cheaper & was easier to clean.

Yep it's rinsed. There was oil but I washed it out.
Took about 3 hours for me. I got medium grain.

Back
Top Bottom