RIP guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RTDav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, sorry to post bad news but sadly my guppy "marina and the pebbles" has died. I only bought her yesterday she was silver with a large tail and yellow with black spots. I noticed thT her eyes were fully black and not just the pupils but she was swimming around fine. I had another much smaller female who I have been worried about as she seemed stressed and thought that she would be the one that would die, anyway, I woke up this morning and couldn't find marina until eventually she was caught in the plants :(.

Once I got her out I inspected the body as I wondered if the other fish would have killed her but she has no marks what so ever. Closet inspection I noticed that her eyes were back to normal, anyone got any explanation for this?

My other guppy is fine now btw she's swimming with the rest of them.

Tom

I guess the stress caused by the journey from the shop to your home could be enough to kill your fish. I know u can't feed a new fish for 24 hours min and u have to keep the tank light off too

Hey guys, sorry to post bad news but sadly my guppy "marina and the pebbles" has died. I only bought her yesterday she was silver with a large tail and yellow with black spots. I noticed thT her eyes were fully black and not just the pupils but she was swimming around fine. I had another much smaller female who I have been worried about as she seemed stressed and thought that she would be the one that would die, anyway, I woke up this morning and couldn't find marina until eventually she was caught in the plants :(.

Once I got her out I inspected the body as I wondered if the other fish would have killed her but she has no marks what so ever. Closet inspection I noticed that her eyes were back to normal, anyone got any explanation for this?

My other guppy is fine now btw she's swimming with the rest of them.

Tom

Could be lots of reasons. I'd start with a liquid test kit to check your waters parameters.

Thank you all! The one is now lifting herself onto the filter to suffocate herself . I know that sounds stupid bit look...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389566420.475640.jpg

Any ideas what I should do?

Okay thanks, what about the fish though? Do I let her carry on?

don't know what might be problem with her, but im 100% sure she is not trying to suffocate herself, she is probably exhausted and behind the filter is the quite place with no water movement so she can rest without being disturbed.

QT if possible, do daily wc in the QT and dose Prime or any other product that locks ammonia, worst case scenario she wont pass any parasites/infections to your other fish and you don't need to pollute the entire tank with chemicals.

Best wishes, hoping she gets well soon.

don't know what might be problem with her, but im 100% sure she is not trying to suffocate herself, she is probably exhausted and behind the filter is the quite place with no water movement so she can rest without being disturbed.

QT if possible, do daily wc in the QT and dose Prime or any other product that locks ammonia, worst case scenario she wont pass any parasites/infections to your other fish and you don't need to pollute the entire tank with chemicals.

Best wishes, hoping she gets well soon.

She is trying to get oxygen from the surface and not use energy. That's why she has chosen the stillest place at the surface. Change water immediately and you should see a slight improvement. Change 50% every day till you get a test kit. She is being denied oxygen by either high levels of ammonia or nitrite.

Also moving her at this stage may stress the fish out more and she is weak enough as it is. Just change water with temp matched dechlorinated tap water.

It may be too late for this fish and her life span may have been shortened so don't be surprised if she doesn't pull through. Stressed fish are also susceptible to secondary illness so keep your eye on her.

She is trying to get oxygen from the surface and not use energy. That's why she has chosen the stillest place at the surface. Change water immediately and you should see a slight improvement. Change 50% every day till you get a test kit. She is being denied oxygen by either high levels of ammonia or nitrite.

Definitely. Looks like a bad case out 'get me out of this terrible water'.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for the advice! Sadly she didn't improve

Done a 50% water change and a friend is coming to test the water. Final question... I have three male guppies and three female guppies, which two seem to be pregnant. Do I keep it at that ratio? Or do I get more females and risk it?

Sorry for all these questions I'm a newbie

Usually 1 male to 3 females would be better but your main priority should be your water quality now. Stabilise your water first before adding Any more fish.

Back
Top Bottom