Rising pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerMike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30l Biorb set up with Biohome media, 2 WCMM, a Betta, a Bristle Nose and some live plants.

It's 5 weeks old & the chemistry is beginning to stabilise (fish in cycle), with a trace of ammonia (recent over feeding), no nitrites & about 30ppm nitrates.

My local water is very hard so I have been using 60% RO to keep the hardness at a medium soft level. After a water change the pH is about 7.2, but over the next 3 of 4 days it creeps up to 8.0.

I have reduced the time I have the tank light on for, hoping the plants would produce some more Co2, & have turned the air pump fully down (the Biorb pump was too noisy so I upgraded it to an Eheim 100) with little effect.

I eventually want to add some cardinals, so I want to get the pH down to the acid side of neutral. Any ideas how i can do this? Would adding Almond leaves to the filter help? What about adding a moss ball in a dark part of the tank?

BTW I had tannin problems from some natural wood, so the filter now has activated charcoal in it, could this be causing it?

Hi, I have kept neons and cardinals at around 7.2 to 7.4. If they are in the local shop at similar water to you, should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom