River-fish to established tank - bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently caught some very little crayfish and minnows from a large stream by my house, and made quite a nice setup for them in a 15 gallon tank.

I noticed a wierd looking fish when I brought them home, different from the minnows, that just sits on the bottom of the tank, quite interesting looking, two dorsal fins and some darker stripes.

I'm not altogether concerned for the minnows, caught them as a behavioural enrichment of sorts for the crayfish when they get older, but that one is pretty interesting and I wouldnt mind keeping it alive. The crayfish arent big enough yet to hunt them, so I have some time to decide what to do with it. It sits on the gravel though, doesnt swim around like the minnows, so it would almost certainly be eaten I would think.

My question is, would it be terrible to add it to my already established aquarium that has 2 moonlight gourami, 3 dwarf gourami, 4 dojo loaches and a forlowella catfish? Obviously finding out the species will help with the decision, which I'm going to attempt to do tonight (get a picture or two), and of course have a one or two week QT.

Ill post the species or picture as soon as I can

yeah i agree with hrafnkel QT would be alot 1. becuase it can carry MANY diseases and 2) you wont know how aggressive it is.

well... when i tried catching fish i had around 25ish and within one week i had like 12. so... you might lose some

Almost positive its either a johnny darter or banded darter now, apparently only get 3" at the most. Quite cool looking though, two dorsal fins and two sets of pectoral (ones on the front, like arms, is that pectoral?) Apparently mostly a bottom dweller, like my loaches.

Anyone know if its aggressive? Also, since it's a river fish, could it be acclimated to the heat of a tropical tank? Like with the gourami or whatever, or would it be more suited in my tetra tank, which seems to be cooler? I'd much prefer it in the gourami tank if possible, as that's MY tank lol, but I don't want to make the fish uncomfortable :( Can't seem to find any info on aquarium habits.

Darters don't do well in tropical tank conditions. Typically chillers are needed. They can become territorial over space, especially bottom space is all they are intrested in keeping. They like to have a territory. Higher currents are very appreciated by darters. They are a riffle species for the most part.

yep definitely a darter,kinda chancey whether or not theyll adapt to aquarium conditions though. If you ever get a river fish qt it. every time i didn't i would get diseases and stuff in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom