River Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidtcb1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello:

Was able to be "out in the country" this weekend near a creek and found a few rocks that I thought would be nice in my new 125g malawi tank. Can these be cleaned enough to be safe in the tank or should I just stick to the store bought rocks? I have been washing them off this afternoon and they are sitting in a water/bleach combo right now. A lot of "stuff" comes off when I scrub them with a scrub brush, yet the majority seem to be coming clean (i.e. the water runs clear off them after scrubbing)..

Thoughts??

Thanks!

The short answer is yes, you can use them. The only caveat would be to not add rocks with metals in them. I picked up a bunch of rocks and gravel from the shore of Lake Ontario, that I am using for a small tank with P. flavus. The gravel has been screened for size, and the rocks and gravel will be bleached before use. I have been using lake rocks for years. What I like is that the water has worn them smooth. The gravel is mamde up of the rocks so the rock and gravel match in colour for a natural look.

davidtcb1 said:
Is there a way to tell whether or not the rock has metals?
red rocks "usually" contain iron, also any rock that have a metallic luster i.e look shiny like a metal (shiny silver, shiny yellow...)

Back
Top Bottom