River rocks found in wash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rsquared333

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some river rocks from a local wash 2 days ago and have repeatedly washed them and boiled them 3 times a each day (30 mins of boiling 30 of washing per day for each rock) I am baking them today for about 6 hours is that enough for them to be ready for a freshwater tank with no plants and a sand substrate?

I have some river rock from a garden center in one of my tanks and it's worked out great. And I didn't do nearly as much preparation as you did :oops: If you are concerned about the chemical composition of the rocks, I have heard you can pour vinegar on the rocks. If it fizzes, the rocks are not safe to put in your tank. If it doesn't, they're safe. That's what I did for 2 of my tanks.

Thanks for the imput. The rocks are granites and shists so I am not worried about any calcium carbonates. I just wanted to make sure I killed the bacteria. that did it then?

I think you are totally safe in terms of pathogens at this point. :D

The only thing you need to be concerned with is if the rocks are calciferous (unless you want hard alkaline water) and if they have any kind of iron ore in them, which would be evident by rust-colored streaks. You can try the vinegar test on the rocks, bubbling indicates calciferous, but sometimes that does not always work and requires muriatic acid, which most folks don't keep around. If you notice your tank water with a raised pH or an elevated KH or GH that is not desired then you'll know the source.

Sorry you asked, huh? :oops:

I already know none of the rocks are calciferous and I already checked for any evidence of oxidation (rust). so am I in the clear than?

Back
Top Bottom